Raptor as a commuter. What should I expect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirt Bag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is for anyone that uses their truck as a daily commuter then moves to weekend warrior mode.
Last week I started a new job. It's a bit more of a commute than my 12 SCREW is used to at about 70 miles a day in crappy Silicon Valley traffic.
Then on the weekends I take her on a 240 mile round trip jaunt to our home in the mountains with a good amount of off road and ranch duty work.

Any maintenance advice or heads up what to look out for is appreciated as I am watching the miles pile on and the tire tread disappear.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only commute 3 miles each way. I typically get 12.3 MPG around town with a mix of mostly 50 MPH suburban streets and a bit of freeway driving. I get 13 or so when driving 80 MPH on the to the mountains and back. I don't drive crazy and I've never seen 15 MPG with my 2013.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I used my truck to commute last year. I did about 50 miles a day, avg 14 mpg at about 70. I used around 4 gallons of fuel a day. Being that I have a scab with a smaller tank I was filling up quite often lol. But other than gas it was normal maintenance. I look for excuses to drive the truck anyway.

D

Deleted member 12951

I DD mine too as its my only vehicle but if I had to drive 70 miles everyday in traffic, I would buy another small truck or car for that. Then cage the raptor and a bunch of other goodies and make those weekend trips a whole new experience.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is for anyone that uses their truck as a daily commuter then moves to weekend warrior mode.
Last week I started a new job. It's a bit more of a commute than my 12 SCREW is used to at about 70 miles a day in crappy Silicon Valley traffic.
Then on the weekends I take her on a 240 mile round trip jaunt to our home in the mountains with a good amount of off road and ranch duty work.

Any maintenance advice or heads up what to look out for is appreciated as I am watching the miles pile on and the tire tread disappear.
i thought you were retiring....... well as you know i commuted from watsonville to mountain view 6 days a week. 105 miles round trip daily. all idid was the scheduled maintenence.

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive 70-75 miles a day, I use my old 07 fx4 for these DD duties. I can't see driving a newer truck just to pile miles on.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
change your spark plugs then, I get around 15-16 mpg according to the computer most times. However, I am spread out quite a bit, and do not speed nor go up hills or mountains.

that makes a difference

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I only commute 3 miles each way. I typically get 12.3 MPG around town with a mix of mostly 50 MPH suburban streets and a bit of freeway driving. I get 13 or so when driving 80 MPH on the to the mountains and back. I don't drive crazy and I've never seen 15 MPG with my 2013.

Very similar MPG for me. I typically average 12.2 around town. I've seen up to 14.4 on freeway only trips, but that's been pretty rare. I do drive faster than average but I also focus on driving smooth and I've never felt much of a need to go WOT in this truck so I don't think I'm beating on it at all.

Wideglide93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on the highway often as I am an outside sales guy. I average according to the computer 15.5mpg in Crew cab 2014. All I have done is a K&N replacement for the stock filter and run 87. I follow the Dealership for oil changes. I am at about 24k on miles.