Radio Communication

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fermin

Reaction score
I was recently given a CB radio by a cousin-in-law. I was about ready to install it but then I got caught up in the whole CB vs VHF thing. My intention was to get a radio for my sister and my parents, and when we travel in separate cars we could be able to communicate with each other quickly. But I don't understand the whole licensing thing, and all the different channels. What would be the best route for me, CB or VHF? I'm looking for something that's user friendly.

If there's already a thread about this, I'm sorry.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was recently given a CB radio by a cousin-in-law. I was about ready to install it but then I got caught up in the whole CB vs VHF thing. My intention was to get a radio for my sister and my parents, and when we travel in separate cars we could be able to communicate with each other quickly. But I don't understand the whole licensing thing, and all the different channels. What would be the best route for me, CB or VHF? I'm looking for something that's user friendly.

There are several threads but this one should give you what you need.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/one-only-radio-thread-34162/

Basically CB is pretty limiting for many off road applications and VHF/UHF is a better overall choice. Getting a handheld like the Boefeng UV5R series allows you to monitor/transmit on many frequencies at a very low entry price point. Some of these frequencies like Family Radio Service do not require licensing in any way to operate on. Check out the thread and let us know if you have any other questions. I just picked up a Boefeng UV5R V2+ from Amazon for like $35 and it will work fine for my needs.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
There are several threads but this one should give you what you need.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/one-only-radio-thread-34162/

Basically CB is pretty limiting for many off road applications and VHF/UHF is a better overall choice. Getting a handheld like the Boefeng UV5R series allows you to monitor/transmit on many frequencies at a very low entry price point. Some of these frequencies like Family Radio Service do not require licensing in any way to operate on. Check out the thread and let us know if you have any other questions. I just picked up a Boefeng UV5R V2+ from Amazon for like $35 and it will work fine for my needs.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I'll 2nd what he said...

Range on a CB sucks without a good antenna and modifying the raidio for more power. They are nice on the hiway as truckers talk about cops and if your lucky your wife but you have to tolerate all the other banter. If you just want quality communication with family the boefeng radios are going to be your best bet\bang for $. If you are worried about licencing just use the FREQS that are reserved for family band but you will see a loss in range.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

If you plan on doing group off roading plan on installing an external antenna'd VHF as a requirement. Radio can be hand held but you can never have too much receive range when doing 80+ on dirt...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Lugnut2683

Reaction score

@Fermin, I would recommend you go with at least a 50 watt VHF setup. I recently purchased mine direct from PCI Radios.

https://www.pciraceradios.com/colle...s/icom-f5021-chase-package?variant=7914377797

Just tested it on a run too - those with handhelds were sometimes out of range and also died (on battery power). Spend the money if you plan to off road. Communications on the trail is invaluable.

19c517cd6f8dd3cfb33dabec33dcae2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Fermin

Fermin

Reaction score
@Fermin, I would recommend you go with at least a 50 watt VHF setup. I recently purchased mine direct from PCI Radios.

https://www.pciraceradios.com/colle...s/icom-f5021-chase-package?variant=7914377797

Just tested it on a run too - those with handhelds were sometimes out of range and also died (on battery power). Spend the money if you plan to off road. Communications on the trail is invaluable.

19c517cd6f8dd3cfb33dabec33dcae2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was actually looking into getting this particular setup. I don't think that I would want to go with handheld. I'm really forgetful and I would hate to go out and forget to charge it.