A.R.E. Topper , backed up info from A.R.E. HQ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Egilg

Reaction score
Hey all,
This is my first post aside from my new member post. Had a raptor for a while and have wanted to slap a rooftop tent on a cap and really didn't know where to begin. Been doing quite a bit of research and started making calls, the kind that go over vendors heads when something doesn't add up because you see something that completely makes you say " they are full of $h!t " or " you have no idea what your talking about ". I've been debating with myself and my beagle rags which is better, SNUGTOP XTR or the A.R.E. Overland.

I decided the overland would be my best option, more bang for my buck and the XTR wouldnt fit in my garage with the massive vent system that goes through and the in-ability to remove the rails . we get hail in Colorado. Id throw my own body over my truck to protect it if I had to from that as well.

My local A.R.E dealer was saying i could put a load of 200lbs max on the topper. any more Ide be risking breaking the fiberglass and stuff. shortly after that conversation I said there is no way, and saw a member on this forum who has done all that with an ARE topper, Member SVTFordRaptor. i got in touch with him. got some details and then called A.R.E at the top level. when I asked if I could mount a rooftop tent, the guy literally laughed at me and said " oh you mean like the president of A.R.E.'s truck with a massive rooftop tent on an A.R.E. topper standing by his product?" totally answered my question right there. He also stated that 200lbs was your max recommended driving weight on the topper and " the weight limit on the cap while stopped had never truly been tested". Then went on to say that "you could easily load up the top with a family of four and camp out no issue. That's what the A.R.E. president does."

Im sorry for the long post, I'm quite bored on my present deployment and needed something to occupy my next half hour, but I hope this answered some questions for those that in my current situation looking for a topper and the right answers. I have the price list for the overland and accessories, ill continue this thread if people are interested on what I'm looking at price wise in Colorado, to include install. it beats out snugtop by a lot ill tell you all that.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm certainly interested to see your setup. I have been enjoying my ARE MX cap since last year.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey all, This is my first post aside from my new member post. Hill continue this thread if people are interested on what I'm looking at price wise in Colorado, to include install. it beats out snugtop by a lot ill tell you all that.

Welcome to FRF. Thanks for your service!

Interesting to me to learn that a topper/shell/cap can handle the weight of a RTT AND people inside it. That's a LOT of weight!

I hope you'll continue this thread and post up more info. Perhaps some pics from the websites and links to their info for example?

OP
OP
Egilg

Egilg

Reaction score
Sorry its taken me so long to respond. price wise this is what Im looking at for the A.R.E. Overland :

Overland - $1700
Headliner - $125
Pet Screen - $60
Tilt Down Front Slider - $90
12V w/ Dual Rope Lights - $160
12V Power Strip - $60
Half Slider - Standard
Single T-Lock HD Door - Standard
Yakima Jetstream - $535
Bedrug - $475
SwingSafe - $250 per side

For the Z Series Base price : $2235.00
OTR option which I believe is similiar to a lineX coat that covers the Top is an addition 435.00. all other prices remain the same.

I do not yet have this topper. so it will be a while before I get pics. Need to get home first and then get all this done. I love my wife to death however, <<<----- theres a comma. She gets in the raptor and her red hair literally turns to fire and she becomes the female version of Ghost rider in a raptor and thinks the truck is invincible. Shes really good at attracting police up highway 24. the only permissions given were "start the truck once a week, pull it out of the garage, let it run, re park it in the garage, put keys on the key rack." Otherwise I would allow her to go have all this put on.