GEN 1 Questions about Raptor reliability.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EternalChampion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember...these things are huge. My time in Europe taught me that smaller, more maneuverable vehicles do well there for a reason. If you're in a predominantly rural environment, go for it. If you're in Paris or Rome...get yourself a Harley. Good Luck!

OP
OP
A

ameer

Reaction score
I've got a 2010 6.2L (2010.5?)
The fuel consumption is harsh, but then.. Look at the size of it + the 6.2L v8... and it's to be expected.

If you are OCD about your paint... You may want some mud-flaps... Going to constantly have mud all up the side of the truck and under your door handles.

I get "the clunk" off and on... not able to produce at dealership and therefor not able to get it fixed under warranty. (Warranty obviously not a problem for you....)

Had surface rust underneath the truck since day1.. Makes me a little uneasy but have been told it is normal and not a problem.

I get a burning wire smell in the cabin frequently at high speeds... Neither I or the dealer have found the source of this yet. Going to inquire into it again, but no idea what it may be.

Would I order one if I had to order it overseas without warranty?
I would have to say no I would not.. But that decision would have nothing to do with the quality of the truck. It is primarily because, there is already vehicles that I really would like to own which are only available in europe/other places... But am not willing to go through those hassles and be without a warranty and also have to alter them to meet local standards.

If I was in Europe I think I would definately get one of those crazy hillux diesel Arctic trucks though that they build out in Iceland. Those things are beastly.. But serve an entirely different purpose, thus only if I was located somewhere like Iceland where I could put them to use :p They wouldn't work in the city here.

Those things are pretty beast.

Well I'm buying this car as a fun/weekend car, I'm not too worried about fuel economy, I don't think it's reasonable to expect much economy when buying a 6.2l V8... I know exactly what I'm getting into.

I find it funny american guys want the cars we get here in Europe while we want some of the stuff you guys get over there. Human nature ? We want what we can't have? :) Don't worry you aren't missing out on much, except maybe Alfa Romeos :waytogo:

Some good news though, this morning I received a phone call from another local multi brand dealer that imports American cars and they gave me a better price on a car with warranty, than the ones I previously spoke to. Works out to about 2.5-2.8k more than it would cost me to import it myself, so I think I will order with them and get a full warranty with the car for peace of mind. Much better than the previous dealer which was asking almost 7k over what it would cost to import one privately. They even have their own service facility and said they've sold regular F150's and a couple of Raptors and they usually stock common replacement parts for them (filters, brake pads etc). The only condition for the warranty is to only service the car at their facility, which is reasonable enough. Also they told me yearly tax is a whole lot less than I thought as this car can be registered as an utility vehicle and annual taxes are about 1/4 of what I anticipated. That's quite a saving right there, because tax is levied on a combination of engine capacity and CO2 emissions.

Just remember...these things are huge. My time in Europe taught me that smaller, more maneuverable vehicles do well there for a reason. If you're in a predominantly rural environment, go for it. If you're in Paris or Rome...get yourself a Harley. Good Luck!

I'm in eastern Europe, however we have the exact same problem, old cities, narrow streets, lack of parking space etc. I wouldn't think of driving a car like this daily. It would be a huge hassle not to mention expensive, we pay more than twice of what you guys pay for gasoline. Must be awesome in the US to be able to daily drive a Raptor without thinking twice about it. :peace:

That said, the dealer wasn't sure about delivery dates or 2013 MY changes but I'm paying them a visit over the weekend to discuss this.

Thanks again everyone, and btw great info on this forum, I've learned a lot while reading through it.

Last edited:

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
The biggest known change in '13 is going to be HID headlights and there are rumors swirling that the upgraded computer system (myFordTouch) could be making its way into the F150.

As for emissions, this truck pollutes less than a Fiat 500!! Not kidding!

OP
OP
A

ameer

Reaction score
The biggest known change in '13 is going to be HID headlights and there are rumors swirling that the upgraded computer system (myFordTouch) could be making its way into the F150.

As for emissions, this truck pollutes less than a Fiat 500!! Not kidding!

I've read the rumours about MY 2013, I'm really curious about the supposed facelift as well, I hope they don't change it too much, I really like the way it looks. HIDs though will be a big improvement imo. I can't believe they didn't offer them until now.

As for Fiat emissions, I don't see how that's possible the 500 has 1.0-1.4 liter engines :)

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read the rumours about MY 2013, I'm really curious about the supposed facelift as well, I hope they don't change it too much, I really like the way it looks. HIDs though will be a big improvement imo. I can't believe they didn't offer them until now.

As for Fiat emissions, I don't see how that's possible the 500 has 1.0-1.4 liter engines :)

It was tested..
Hot Rod Anglican: Ford Raptor vs Fiat 500 vs Leaf Blowers

Emissions Test: Car vs. Truck vs. Leaf Blower - YouTube

Last edited:

JRASIK_Cdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 28,000 miles on my truck- daily driving and off-roading an no issues. I had one incident when I first got it when the windows wouldn't roll down. After I turned the truck off and on again they worked fine and it's never happened again (I wrote it off as "noone's perfect/sh*t happens).

I love this truck. I've mentioned this a number of times on this site (I should just add this as my signature), but I work outside off-road in the desert (sand dunes, pole lines, washes and just driving past cacti) and I usually wish I could drive my Raptor at work. I have the opportunity to drive a truck, jeep and SUV and while each has their purpose at any time (like the Jeep on tight mountain trails) the Raptor overall is the best and most comfortable.

:D

OP
OP
A

ameer

Reaction score
It is an inalienable right.
That's why I love America!

I have 28,000 miles on my truck- daily driving and off-roading an no issues. I had one incident when I first got it when the windows wouldn't roll down. After I turned the truck off and on again they worked fine and it's never happened again (I wrote it off as "noone's perfect/sh*t happens).

I love this truck. I've mentioned this a number of times on this site (I should just add this as my signature), but I work outside off-road in the desert (sand dunes, pole lines, washes and just driving past cacti) and I usually wish I could drive my Raptor at work. I have the opportunity to drive a truck, jeep and SUV and while each has their purpose at any time (like the Jeep on tight mountain trails) the Raptor overall is the best and most comfortable.

:D

I went to visit the dealership, I will most certainly purchase it from them because of the warranty they are offering and them taking care of all registration issues and so on. They told me they can get me a 2012 in white which their partner dealership in the US has on stock, and I'd have the car in about 1 month or so. However, I'm not a fan of white, I'd prefer black for a Raptor, and I'm also considering waiting to see exactly what improvements are coming for 2013 MY. They said that ordering a car to my spec would take at least 2 months more. I'm thinking of waiting in order to get the color I prefer, and possibly the 2013 MY improvements. They also had no idea about what/if changes are coming for 2013 or when these can be ordered. Currently they are only able to order 2012. They promised to get back to me during the week with the information I requested, and I'll make a decision by then.

Thanks again for the help everyone!