GEN 1 Questions about Raptor reliability.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22,000 miles on mine and not one problem! I change oil as required and always use synthetic oil. So far this truck has not seen a service department.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
I have yet to have a single problem with my truck after roughly 25k but I will say that the transmission would be my only long term point of concern. A few owners (myself included) have experienced some hard shifting, like check the rear view mirror to make sure someone didn't rear end you hard. There have also been issues with pumps leaking and failing but there is TSB out and ford is aware of the issue. I don't know if the problems are more apparent in 2011 models (like I have) or if any 12s have had the same symptoms but it is something to at very least research on the board.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd vote for getting one. I've only had 2 problems with mine, and that was do to my aftermarket CAI coming loose. And bad gas

Hocker52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will still say go for it. Although I have had a couple of issues with mine. Power steering pump, Transmission pump, Actuator for my defrost, and LED light going out in the 3rd brake light. Oh and the Transmission gremlins that CineSLR is speaking of.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ameer

Reaction score
I will still say go for it. Although I have had a couple of issues with mine. Power steering pump, Transmission pump, Actuator for my defrost, and LED light going out in the 3rd brake light. Oh and the Transmission gremlins that CineSLR is speaking of.

What MY do you own? A few niggles here and there are common on first years of production with any car, I'm looking at getting a 2012 or 2013 MY, I'm hoping most bugs have been worked out by now.

I've been poking around the forum and I'm aware of some people having transmission problems, but most seem to be '10 or '11 models.

I'm considering ordering a 2013 MY because the dealer said there will be some changes to the car, but he didn't know much more than that. If I'd order, today, a 2012 MY, I'll be taking possession of the car in mid July when I'm normally on vacation away from home, so a 2013 seems like a wiser choice.

Thank you everyone for the feedback, you've been most helpful. So much information on here, I need to make some time to read through the forum properly.

Last edited:

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2010 6.2L (2010.5?) Problems so far, the shifting problem. A squeek coming from the bed somewhere that is basically constant.... Something is loose/rubbing... I imagine it's just a matter of finding it and tightening whatever it is.

The fuel consumption is harsh, but then.. Look at the size of it + the 6.2L v8... and it's to be expected.

If you are OCD about your paint... You may want some mud-flaps... Going to constantly have mud all up the side of the truck and under your door handles.

I get "the clunk" off and on... not able to produce at dealership and therefor not able to get it fixed under warranty. (Warranty obviously not a problem for you....)

Had surface rust underneath the truck since day1.. Makes me a little uneasy but have been told it is normal and not a problem.

I had a horrible grinding sound in the beginning that seemed to sort itself out early on, but whenever it occurred I refused to drive the truck.. It was bad.. But mysteriously... gone?

I get a burning wire smell in the cabin frequently at high speeds... Neither I or the dealer have found the source of this yet. Going to inquire into it again, but no idea what it may be.

Had some other issues, but I feel that they are dealership problems. So I'll omit those.

Anyway, I'm nit picking but thats my list of issues... Just providing an honest response! I would say it's a great truck, and if they've worked out some of the bugs in the newer models... then its an even better truck.

This is my families 2nd F-150.. The other being a 2004 Lariat which to date... I think has had the transmission rebuilt, an airbag recall, and some wiring issues that caused a lot of stuff to not work on the dash. Otherwise just regular servicing I think? Which doesn't seem too bad for almost 10 years.

Would I order one if I had to order it overseas without warranty?
I would have to say no I would not.. But that decision would have nothing to do with the quality of the truck. It is primarily because, there is already vehicles that I really would like to own which are only available in europe/other places... But am not willing to go through those hassles and be without a warranty and also have to alter them to meet local standards.

For me, that probably comes down to Money, and hassle. It doesn't make sense for me currently, but perhaps if I was making a lot more money and money was no concern... Then I would go ahead and do it because you only live once. And if money is not a concern, then repairing any issues that come up should be no big deal.

I would just suggest making sure you have someone locally who is capable of working on it... But then it's not some alien space ship right? It's a truck.. You have mechanics, I'm sure who have worked on more complex vehicles than an enhanced f-150.

So if it financially isn't a problem for you, I would see no other reason to hesitate. There isn't any other truck or 4x4 I would want in place of a Raptor. Except maybe a newer Raptor?

If I was in Europe I think I would definately get one of those crazy hillux diesel Arctic trucks though that they build out in Iceland. Those things are beastly.. But serve an entirely different purpose, thus only if I was located somewhere like Iceland where I could put them to use :p They wouldn't work in the city here.

Those things are pretty beast.

Hocker52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What MY do you own? A few niggles here and there are common on first years of production with any car, I'm looking at getting a 2012 or 2013 MY, I'm hoping most bugs have been worked out by now.

I've been poking around the forum and I'm aware of some people having transmission problems, but most seem to be '10 or '11 models.

I'm considering ordering a 2013 MY because the dealer said there will be some changes to the car, but he didn't know much more than that. If I'd order, today, a 2012 MY, I'll be taking possession of the car in mid July when I'm normally on vacation away from home, so a 2013 seems like a wiser choice.

Thank you everyone for the feedback, you've been most helpful. So much information on here, I need to make some time to read through the forum properly.

I have a 2011 SCREW built in July