GEN 1 Questions about Raptor reliability.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ameer

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've a few questions for Raptor owners in regards to reliability. I'm from Europe and I've recently found myself wanting a Ford Raptor. The thing is the Raptor isn't sold here officially nor are any of the Fords you guys get in the US so I'll have to import one privately.

This would mean a few things. First I'm going to have a lot of trouble if the car needs warranty work because Ford Europe sells completely different cars over here than it does in the US, and they do not in any way cover warranties for USA models. Personally, I also doubt they are capable of even servicing the car.
So that leaves me with only one choice for servicing and that would be an independent american car service, which will happily work on the car on my expense of course.

How reliable are these cars in general? Have any of you had major or recurring issues with them? Would you buy one without being able to use the warranty except if it has major issues? The US dealer I contacted, told me that they have no problem sending me replacement parts if I need them however I will have to pay for airfare and the likes. It's not really worth using the warranty unless something really expensive goes wrong with it. The dealer also told me that Fords are bullet proof, but hey... I wouldn't expect any dealer to say anything but good things about the cars they sell. European Fords though, are every bit as good or even better than their German rivals so that's encouraging.

I do have the option of getting one with a warranty here by buying from one of the multi-brand dealerships, however they sell it for about 7k EUR more than it would cost me to import it myself. 7K EUR is a bit too much for just warranty.

Thanks for reading, and I'd greatly appreciate some advice.

Edit: Sorry I didn't notice the prospective owners forum, if a mod could move the thread I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to FRF. In general, I believe the Raptor is very reliable. This is the 3rd Ford truck I've owned and I've never had any major mechanical trouble with any of them.

OP
OP
A

ameer

Reaction score
Mine has been very reliable. You can't find a cooler factory truck. Go for it!!

I definitely agree with that, especially because american trucks are so rare over here. The trucks we can buy here are strictly utilitarian, have god awful 4 cylinder diesel engines, and crappy interiors. Nothing fun or at least borderline decent.

Last edited:

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
The Raptors have been incredibly reliable, with the same problems you might expect on any Ford truck. I would recommend that you purchase a Raptor with as few "options" as possible to reduce the risk of having any problems. For example, the Navigation system is complicated and could potentially be difficult to have repaired by a non-Ford dealer. You might also avoid such options as heated seats and a moon roof. There have been a few Raptors with leaky moon roofs and I personally have had my heated seat element burn out twice. Hope this helps.

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my 6th Ford truck. Generally speaking as long as it's not the first year of a brand new model most of the bugs get worked out pretty quick. Do the obvious maintenance and general care type stuff and I would think you should be very safe and happy. Btw if you do get one you won't regret it! They are amazing trucks!!

OP
OP
A

ameer

Reaction score
The Raptors have been incredibly reliable, with the same problems you might expect on any Ford truck. I would recommend that you purchase a Raptor with as few "options" as possible to reduce the risk of having any problems. For example, the Navigation system is complicated and could potentially be difficult to have repaired by a non-Ford dealer. You might also avoid such options as heated seats and a moon roof. There have been a few Raptors with leaky moon roofs and I personally have had my heated seat element burn out twice. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much, that was indeed helpful. The Navigation system is useless to me, the cost and hassle to convert it for use here is too big for me to even consider it and I was already thinking of skipping the luxury pack. I'll be using this car as a fun car and it will be used as intended. I need specialized gps maps for the Danube delta where there are no roads, just sand banks and swamps. :waytogo:

Last edited:

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
^^ Excellent advice. The big package to avoid for ultimate reliability would be the lux package, this adds dual zone climate, heated seats, etc. Dual zone climate, especially, can be expensive to repair if it goes out.

MikeD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have about 2000 miles on mine and have only needed an alignment, my Brother has a base 2010 Raptor for over 2 years and not had one issue, been very reliable and he isn't easy on trucks.