Probable poser here:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've met quite a few Raptor owners in S.FL. who don't use the truck as intended, but they love/take care of the truck.
#1 reason for buying was it looked cool, and #2 was that it had a great ride.

I'm sure a majority of people who buy a performance vehicle don't use for what it was built for. Look how many buy a Vette/Mustang/Viper and just let it sit in the garage. As long as you have fun/enjoy it, who cares.

navywolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like others have said, pick one up you won't be disappointed.

Don't worry about what others say, that's a tough way to go through life in general. Get it and love it for the reasons it fits your personality.

Depending on where you live you might have a hard time running it as designed anyway. I bought mine in August and it has yet to see real dirt. When I get to TX for Christmas, then it will at least have the opportunity.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I admit it. I've never owned a truck, and even if I get one I don't know that I'll ever do any serious off-roading. But I think they're cool as hell, and we do like hiking and mountain biking, so I imagine throwing our gear in the back and heading up into the mountains. And perhaps towing a trailer with a sports car to a hpde event.
So, who is buying all of these? Do most people who own them use them for hard off-road work? What percentage of people who have these are like me, and what percentage just buy them because they look cool? And will I catch a bunch of crap from the hardcore crowd at gas stations and all, if it's obvious I'm not one of them?

Based on your post, I would say I'm even more of a conservative than you when it comes to Raptors. I have never been a truck person (although that's changed after realizing how nice it is driving a Gen 1) and the only truck I ever wanted was a Raptor.

So a couple of months ago, I traded in my Honda Fit for a 2013 SCREW. I don't intend on using it for offroading or any of the "fun" things it was engineered for. It's a mall crawler, pavement queen daily driver for me. I don't even have a long commute by any means. I drive local streets (with stop signs and lights :( ) for a total of a couple of miles from my house to the office. On weekends I give it a whopping approximately 10 miles (round trip) of hwy time going to church or driving to Chinatown.

So, my "justification" for buying a Raptor is because I simply just love the way it looks and what it's billed to do. It can come in handy on those rare once in a blue moon occasions of hauling something from IKEA :)

I also don't even plan on making any mods to it, just keep it stock. I just love the ride, plain and simple.

David

OP
OP
S

selo

Reaction score
Based on your post, I would say I'm even more of a conservative than you when it comes to Raptors. I have never been a truck person (although that's changed after realizing how nice it is driving a Gen 1) and the only truck I ever wanted was a Raptor.

So a couple of months ago, I traded in my Honda Fit for a 2013 SCREW. I don't intend on using it for offroading or any of the "fun" things it was engineered for. It's a mall crawler, pavement queen daily driver for me. I don't even have a long commute by any means. I drive local streets (with stop signs and lights :( ) for a total of a couple of miles from my house to the office. On weekends I give it a whopping approximately 10 miles (round trip) of hwy time going to church or driving to Chinatown.

So, my "justification" for buying a Raptor is because I simply just love the way it looks and what it's billed to do. It can come in handy on those rare once in a blue moon occasions of hauling something from IKEA :)

I also don't even plan on making any mods to it, just keep it stock. I just love the ride, plain and simple.

David

Dude, you're making me feel absolutely manly!
I live in NM and it won't be difficult to find some pretty gravel roads. The biggest problem is finding the time.......as it is, I have to sneak away for an hour or two on a weekend to take a toy car for a spirited drive.

Dutch451

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine because I think they're one of the baddest looking stock trucks ever made, and the extent of the off-roading I've done is playing in my buddies corn field once last year....

Now the only thing is, I have the truck, so I WANT to take it off-road, I just don't have access to a ton of places to do it, lol, I was thinking about heading to IN to check out the badlands next spring though.

But if you want to buy it because you like how it looks and are gonna keep it on the pavement, it's your truck, do what you want. I love driving it just to drive it because it rides so nice, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's my third truck, I've had a truck since I was 16. My 2000 F150 lasted my 16 years. I don't see how a man can live without owning a truck- I guess they could get a trailer and pull it behind a car/suv, or just pay people to do and deliver things.

I liked the simplicity and reliability of the 2 valve V8 on my '00, and the only way to get that with anything new(ish) from Ford was the 6.2L. Since it's the best naturally aspirated gas engine Ford has ever built, and will likely ever build, I wanted it. If I was getting a 6.2L F150, it's sure as **** was gonna be a Raptor, so that's what I bought.

I don't offroad- I hate mud up under my truck. Sucks to work on and rusts it out. If anyone has a problem with that, they can suck it. I just don't care what other people think about how I use my truck, they aren't paying for it so their opinion means nothing to me.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's my third truck, I've had a truck since I was 16. My 2000 F150 lasted my 16 years. I don't see how a man can live without owning a truck- I guess they could get a trailer and pull it behind a car/suv, or just pay people to do and deliver things.

I liked the simplicity and reliability of the 2 valve V8 on my '00, and the only way to get that with anything new(ish) from Ford was the 6.2L. Since it's the best naturally aspirated gas engine Ford has ever built, and will likely ever build, I wanted it. If I was getting a 6.2L F150, it's sure as **** was gonna be a Raptor, so that's what I bought.

I don't offroad- I hate mud up under my truck. Sucks to work on and rusts it out. If anyone has a problem with that, they can suck it. I just don't care what other people think about how I use my truck, they aren't paying for it so their opinion means nothing to me.

Mud sucks. Went through some mud, cause it was the fastest way out by a long shot, and it took 2+ weeks to thoroughly get rid of it. I was amazed at all the spots mud can hide.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Mine was a mall crawler

10306545_10152964770117732_8656857914650259268_n.jpg

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine because I think they're one of the baddest looking stock trucks ever made, and the extent of the off-roading I've done is playing in my buddies corn field once last year....

Now the only thing is, I have the truck, so I WANT to take it off-road, I just don't have access to a ton of places to do it, lol, I was thinking about heading to IN to check out the badlands next spring though.

But if you want to buy it because you like how it looks and are gonna keep it on the pavement, it's your truck, do what you want. I love driving it just to drive it because it rides so nice, lol.

I absolutely agree that it looks badass. I've said this to others "Ford really did a great job with the Raptor."

It's a unique looking truck that is refinely intimidating and personifies fun more than work.

My wife dislikes trucks but even she says on her own admission that the Raptor looks nice and fun. Not your typical dime a dozen "work truck."

I may be biased here but I wouldn't change anything about the Raptor aesthetically. They just nailed it plainly speaking and it's a head turner regardless of the demographics.

I read on here some saying that they look for excuses to make quick runs to the store and errands just to drive the Raptor. Being an owner now, I have to agree that on most days, driving a Raptor to the office is the best part about going to work, and I don't loathe my job.

Last edited:

ronniegilbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Closest thing I've had to a truck is a Nissan Pathfinder. I've done off-roading using a rented Jeep and had a really good time. Even my wife took the wheel to give it a try. My son can't wait to take the truck off road which I'm sure we will do right away. I am however really nervous about messing up such a nice and expensive truck taking on a trail I may not be ready for. I never had a car or truck I really had to worry about messing up. Do other people feel the same way?