Be prepared for the worst. Off-road accidents.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be a video.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

If you get scared just shut your eye's

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be a video.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

If you get scared just shut your eye's

That's a great course of action Wilson, good thinking

Reaction score
I couldn't agree with you more....It will happen. Its not a matter of "if"...It's a matter of "WHEN"...The motto of SAFETY FIRST...cannot be stressed enough..Great write up about the prep...

R K Motorsports

Rockdoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Informative and very valuable thread!. As I'm sure by now, all here are aware of my job working exploration in the wilds of North America and foreign locations.
I learned a very good lesson over 45 years ago that put me on a more prepared path. In the dead of winter, en route to a very remote location just into the Arctic circle north of the, then, rough, crude, and unpaved Alaska highway. I came across a fellow who was trapped in a rolled over truck on a remote "goat trail" off of a sharp turn heading to my location. He was suffering hypothermia and in a bad way. Back then, with no cell phones, sat phones, and only early iterations of ssb radios we used at the time, I couldn't summon help. I was terrified but managed to extricate the fellow after an hour of jack-all, come along, pry bar work, bandaged and stopped his bleeding, as best I could, a protruding and broken clavicle, broken arm, and rushed him the rest of the way to the rig where we managed to get a helicopter out to transport him to Fort Nelson.
After this event it shook me so badly that I took St John ambulance, off road driving, survival training, {all mandatory these days}, courses I could in the event this might, {and it has}, happen again. {7 deaths in 45 years}
I know I don't race like you folks but the conditions we encounter are the same. Since that time, I carry every possible "emergency" tool that I can think of from flares, radios, medical, survival, mechanical et al. No, I don't use them regularly as conditions, communication, accessibility, etc have thankfully improved and I seldom require most of the "kit" but if only once, do I use them, it can make the difference in that "golden hour" that can change the outcome. I support ALL comments promoting these safety / survival suggestions as I do know the difference they can make. Great posting guys.
I have a commercial "off road" insurance policy thru Wawanesa that covers off road incursions and ends liability issues. As roads in our business can be, private, provincial, federal, it eliminates any hassles when / should an unfortunate event occur, insure I am covered. {yes I have used it}
I'm sure I will catch flack from our younger posters for being an overly cautious "Old Dude" but I know, as many here, once you see damaged, dying, or dead peers that you might have saved "if only I had a......", your perspective changes.
Just Sayin.

Last edited:

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Informative and very valuable thread!. I have a commercial "off road" insurance policy thru Wawanesa that covers off road incursions and ends liability issues. As roads in our business can be, private, provincial, federal, it eliminates any hassles when / should an unfortunate event occur, insure I am covered. {yes I have used it}
I'm sure I will catch flack from our younger posters for being an overly cautious "Old Dude" but I know, as many here, once you see damaged, dying, or dead peers that you might have saved "if only I had a......", your perspective changes.
Just Sayin.

Interested to hear more of this off road policy.

No flak here. If we only spent as much money on recovery and medical gear as we do on light bars and wheels, we'd all be better off.

Like the wife always asks "why do you need that"? Because it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

The one day I had to use it, it was GLORIUS!!! First words out of her mouth, Why don't I have that in my car?

D

Deleted member 12951

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. Read every post, definitely a good read. Would like to see some of those questions answered that Trey presented.

Rockdoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Morning All: Nice sunrise today. Re: Off road policy. We use Wawanesa who also covered the loss / damages to two of our houses in the massive flooding in High River 2.5 years ago {see "Broken Trust High River Flood" on you tube}. Can't say enough good things about this insurer during this terrifying few days and the frustrations and devastation that followed. Aot of companies turned many down. This one ...... Good insurer.
Although my domestic goddess signed me up for the policy and I am a little vague on every nuance of it .... it is called, I believe "Off Road Select" or "Oilfield Select"...? Best to check with an insurance broker but mention it is a liability, wage, content replacement, etc specifically for OFF ROAD use and with lots of options. It might be commercial as well requiring you to be a limited company. I understand several insurers are now offering like coverage. Not overly cheap but.... either is my truck, computers, microscope, instruments etc etc.
Once home I can be more specific.

20151127_083229[1].jpg

Rockdoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Morning All: Nice sunrise today. Re: Off road policy. We use Wawanesa who also covered the loss / damages to two of our houses in the massive flooding in High River 2.5 years ago {see "Broken Trust High River Flood" on you tube}. Can't say enough good things about this insurer during this terrifying few days and the frustrations and devastation that followed. Aot of companies turned many down. This one ...... Good insurer.
Although my domestic goddess signed me up for the policy and I am a little vague on every nuance of it .... it is called, I believe "Off Road Select" or "Oilfield Select"...? Best to check with an insurance broker but mention it is a liability, wage, content replacement, etc specifically for OFF ROAD use and with lots of options. It might be commercial as well requiring you to be a limited company. I understand several insurers are now offering like coverage. Not overly cheap but.... either is my truck, computers, microscope, instruments etc etc.
Once home I can be more specific.

Ha Ha Just looked back at my post... arrgggghhh Sorry about the orientation of the photo. New Note 5 phone seems to be posting photos sideways....... which, when I think about it, is appropriate as we are drilling 90 degrees horizontally now........ Ha Ha..
I'll figure this out......

Last edited: