Be prepared for the worst. Off-road accidents.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome thread TP - thanks for doing this.

I've been involved in getting Raptor owners together for desert runs since the Raptors first came out.

And each time I did it I made sure we did a driver's "meeting" to discuss the ground rules and etiquette and potential dangers. I even handed out pre-printed sheets with key info on it.

Perhaps my biggest concern (and a number have been mentioned so far) is driver experience.

These are generalizations but take them for what they're worth (if this is you please pay attention):

For the most part, NO Raptor owners have previous off road experience.

For the most part, NO Raptor owners have any high-speed off road experience (or on road, for that matter - I'm not talking about freeway driving - I'm referring to closed road courses).

And for the most part, any high-speed off road experience Raptor owners do have may not be useful at all unless the driver realized how quickly he can get into trouble at speed.

These are big, heavy trucks and they're being driven in bad (bad but fun) conditions with limited visibility and on UNFAMILIAR terrain.

In a blink of an eye things can go very wrong and bad things can happen (and they do). A very fun day at a very fun event can quickly turn into an awful experience for you, your passenger(s) and for the group.

Being prepared is very important.

But UNDERSTANDING YOUR LIMITATIONS is paramount, IMO.

It's way too easy to drive beyond your limits and to be influenced by others in the group who may not be as safety conscious as you.
(If you've ever ridden street bikes in a group you know what I'm talking about - group influence and peer pressure can really cause bad things to happen).

Last edited:

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great points Trey, IceCobra and Dan. Unlike many I am always re-thinking my E-Prep and has well equipped my rig for the unexpected. Fire suppression is now top of my list and even though I carry a quality FE, thinking now it is not enough. In another thread this link was posted up that was excellent
Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.

In regards to Raptor driver skills, based upon my personal experiences, time in the saddle and on the road, yes some say I am as old as dirt, I respectfully disagree.

Having participated in dozens of outings I personally have not witnessed a lack of courtesy, quite the opposite, the Raptor owners I have met exemplify proper code of conduct. Well maybe with the xception of one Canadian who thought it was fun to spray rocks on the Raptor behind him, it was all in fun, but I digress. I suppose I should also quantify that the largest group I have participated in was about 30. NO TRRs. Personally 2- 4 rigs is about perfect size wise for groups. Bigger the group the more waiting around.

I think the skill level of a Raptor driver is superior to average skill levels. These are big expensive rigs that are not easy for an unskilled driver to manipulate in city driving conditions. When off-roading, the Raptor provides a great deal off forgiveness, they are built tough and you will learn.

Just to be clear I completely agree that the most important prep is between your ears. Driving in control, knowing your limitations and what the terrain and your rig can manage is critical. Expect the unexpected, Always go out with at least one other truck, make sure you have friends that know where you are going and when you are expected back. Look before you leap, does part of a trail you are discovering look sketch? get out and walk it first. The best First Aid is to prevent the accident from happening in the first place or finding yourself wedged in somewhere where backing up is difficult.

If you are a newbie reading this don't let this thread stop you from enjoying your Raptor. It wants to get dirty, It wants to fly, just take your time, the dirt ain't going nowhere.

Last edited:

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great points Trey, IceCobra and Dan. Unlike many I am always re-thinking my E-Prep and has well equipped my rig for the unexpected. Fire suppression is now top of my list and even though I carry a quality FE, thinking now it is not enough. In another thread this link was posted up that was excellent
Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.

In regards to Raptor driver skills, based upon my personal experiences, time in the saddle and on the road, yes some say I am as old as dirt, I respectfully disagree.

Having participated in dozens of outings I personally have not witnessed a lack of courtesy, quite the opposite, the Raptor owners I have met exemplify proper code of conduct. Well maybe with the xception of one Canadian who thought it was fun to spray rocks on the Raptor behind him, it was all in fun, but I digress. I suppose I should also quantify that the largest group I have participated in was about 30. NO TRRs. Personally 2- 4 rigs is about perfect size wise for groups. Bigger the group the more waiting around.

I think the skill level of a Raptor driver is superior to average skill levels. These are big expensive rigs that are not easy for an unskilled driver to manipulate in city driving conditions. When off-roading, the Raptor provides a great deal off forgiveness, they are built tough and you will learn.

Just to be clear I completely agree that the most important prep is between your ears. Driving in control, knowing your limitations and what the terrain and your rig can manage is critical. Expect the unexpected, Always go out with at least one other truck, make sure you have friends that know where you are going and when you are expected back. Look before you leap, does part of a trail you are discovering look sketch? get out and walk it first. The best First Aid is to prevent the accident from happening in the first place or finding yourself wedged in somewhere where backing up is difficult.

If you are a newbie reading this don't let this thread stop you from enjoying your Raptor. It wants to get dirty, It wants to fly, just take your time, the dirt ain't going nowhere.

ColdFire fire suppression system by DJ Dafety: review for www.pirat4x4.com - YouTube

Gen1Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another point that should be made and included with all the great previous ones is...

If you are off-road with friends and they somehow damage their Raptor/ truck, we all instinctively take pics with our cells/cameras and want to share those with our community here. Please ask permission from the owner of the wrecked truck before posting. You could screw up their claims with insurance and it wouldn't be fair.

I was in that situation and respected the owner's wishes to keep his damaged Raptor pics from going viral. We need to take care of eachother here.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe the only person who should be taking pictures of a truck damaged while offroading should be the owner of that truck, they will share the images when they want to

Scrap man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you are involved in a accident at a race you are not covered but if you are at a training day or a defensive driving course maybe everyone should start calling there runs training days for insurance reasons everyone should look into this with there insurance company

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you are involved in a accident at a race you are not covered but if you are at a training day or a defensive driving course maybe everyone should start calling there runs training days for insurance reasons everyone should look into this with there insurance company

If Motumute is on the course then it really is Defensive Driving for all other participants.:win:

Last edited: