pre offroading check?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if someone has made a thread like this yet but I can not recall one. Im wonder what people look at and double check on their trucks before going offroad, or even if anyone looks at anything before hitting the dirt. I guess you could call it your pre flight check.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
for little BS rides i usually dont check anything. for anything substantial i check coolant, oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid level and see if it seems burnt at all, top off any if needed(dont forget the washer fluid), check the oil seperator, tires odd wear and make sure none have any slow leaks, check shocks for any leakage, check air filter and all connections going to the throttle body, also make sure all recovery gear is in working order, check spare tire air pressure, check brake pads i am sure i am forgetting something

also if i have the time and its been a few months ill give it a good wash and do atleast a sealant if i dont also wax and glaze it. helps to not get any trail pinstripes and really helps with cleaning afterwards

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a great idea for a sticky. If your looking for ideas on what to put on the list, I would include lubricating the under carriage. What I mean is spraying it with WD-40 or something similar to protect it and make cleaning it easier. Also, check the tire pressure in your spare(s).

Besides the obvious, fluids, filters, etc, I look under the vehicle. Recently I had my dealership change the front diff fluid. Over the weekend I found that I'm missing a bolt on my mid skid plate. I made it a point to stop by, Monday morning, and have them "find" me a new one.

OP
OP
tbone

tbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i always check the fluids and brakes and make sure the front lower control arm bolts are tight, ive had an issue with them being loose before and they require somewere in the 400's i believe for the tq figures. if i have enough time and remeber before anything big i like to recharge my bumpstops with nitrogen. i just wanted to see what other people check in case im not checking something and this is also for anyone who needs an idea on things to check for.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a great idea for a sticky. If your looking for ideas on what to put on the list, I would include lubricating the under carriage. What I mean is spraying it with WD-40 or something similar to protect it and make cleaning it easier. Also, check the tire pressure in your spare(s).

Besides the obvious, fluids, filters, etc, I look under the vehicle. Recently I had my dealership change the front diff fluid. Over the weekend I found that I'm missing a bolt on my mid skid plate. I made it a point to stop by, Monday morning, and have them "find" me a new one.
Please use something other than Wd40 it is not great at surface protection and could flush the grease out of places you want it. Use something with Teflon or a product similar to acf50.