Power Steering Solutions Reservoir and Cooler Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You think running a behind/above grill 30" lightbar and a 40" behind grill lower would cause an issue with thIs PS* cooler location?! I'm in need of a solution when my truck gets fixed. The power steering went out on me this past weekend.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
So are the people who've installed the larger capacity reservoirs only still having issues? What made you do the cooler also?
I have not heard of anyone with an upgraded having any issues. I wanted the cooler as excess heat is the enemy of anything under the hood. When the stock reservoir over flows, excess heat the biggest contributor to that fluid expanding and over flowing.

Last edited:

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Will. I need to do something to mine. Although it really never whines, it does spill over the top of the reservoir when I'm running hard.

So are the people who've installed the larger capacity reservoirs only still having issues? What made you do the cooler also?

The RPG stopped all my issues on the'11. Need to flush the old fluid out and not just throw in the new res like I did. A week after install I noticed it was smelling burnt so drained it and put in all new fluid. The addition of the cooler for me would simply be more protection.

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
First post updated with driving impressions.

One additional note. After some discussion with pirate air, I think changing the fluid out of the reservoir will become part of my oil change / tire rotation maintenance every 5000 miles. These pumps do seem to generate some debris and the fluid was pretty dark for only having about 30k miles on the truck. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

SvtDon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up! Think this will be my next upgrade as the stock ones suck! Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I have been running Mobil 1 ATF.

ATF | Mobil 1™ Synthetic ATF

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF meets or exceeds the requirements of:

• JASO 1-A
  • Ford MERCON® V
According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is of the following quality level:

• Allison C4
  • GM DEXRON® IIIH
  • GM DEXRON® IIIG
  • GM DEXRON® IIE
  • GM DEXRON® IID
  • GM DEXRON® II
  • GM DEXRON®
  • Ford MERCON®
  • Voith H55.6335.3X
  • MAN 339 V1
  • Volvo 97340
  • Volvo 97341