People not recognizing truck size at Night

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it just my luck, or have the rest of you noticed that people seem to not understand how wide the truck is at night?

I drive backroads to work and in the dark, in the morning, people cut abnormally close to me when going the other way. However, during the day, people give me MORE room than I'd ever need.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here in SoKal we don't have a lot of backroads like you do in PA and "Back East" but I've seen that before.

What I see here is people aren't paying attention when behind the wheel (nothing new) and they'll drift towards me and because the Raptor is so wide they have to recorrect their vehicle quickly. I have gotten concerned about these "drifters"

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Never noticed that. If anything I feel like people give me more room at night due to the >80" width clearance lights.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In my neighborhood, people freak out and go way to the side to "avoid" me. It's like I'm driving a firetruck or someshit. Night or day.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It depends on who is piloting the opposing vehicle and what kind of vehicle it is in my experience.
BMW drivers tend to **** their pants seeing my Raptor (admittedly, when my wife is driving there is much more fear instilled in oncoming vehicles. I’m not really sure what that’s about ...)
Lexus drivers tend to care a little more and don’t crowd me as much.
Oncoming truck of all makes tend to be more respectful of lane discipline.
‘Vette, Mustang, ‘maro, challenger, etc. drivers give sufficient room and approving head nod.

The most trouble I have with members of my former tribe, subaru drivers. They must be still angry with me or something but this demographic represents the highest number of my close calls.

OP
OP
S

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe its the people I drive around then. Its unbias as to the type of car/truck whatever. Just uncomfortably close at night.

I know for myself with my Camaro, I do everything I can to avoid a Raptor, those tires are just begging to throw a rock.

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most trouble I have with members of my former tribe, subaru drivers. They must be still angry with me or something but this demographic represents the highest number of my close calls.

It's probably because most all Subaru drivers are either dirty hippies, lesbians and/or both. They just hate how large and domineering your Raptor is and how environmentally conscious you are not.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Far and away the worst drivers I used to see were Saturn drivers. I absolutely stayed as far away from them as I could and was always on the watch for them.

Now it's Prius drivers.

No issues with Subie owners. Yet.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Naaaa, this is a matter of bloated self-importance. If you think other drivers should bow to you because you're the godlike pilot of an uber truck, you have perceptions like this.

On the other hand, if you drive like you're naked, you're invisible, and other drivers hate you, then YOU will give THEM room. Room enough to make their own mistakes without tangling you up in them.

As for the worst drivers on the road, they drive Chevys:
- If you want to witness another driver make a new-teenage-driver type mistake, follow an Impala driver for a couple miles.
- If you want to witness another driver drive like he's the only one who pays the taxes that were used to pave the roads, follow a Corvette.

Last edited: