Payload Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your tongue weight sounds WAY too high for that light of a trailer.

But yes, based on that math you're over 1,000 lbs unless your truck drives itself without you!

Realistically, I think you're fine and you're WAY over-estimating your tongue weight. It's supposed to be what, like 10ish% of your trailer weight?

Yeah 10%. Easy to weight with a home scale, https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

If your numbers are correct then yes you are over weight.

Nyseguy

Reaction score
I agree with Dane that your overestimating the tongue weight. FWIW I've had my bike loaded in the bed and pulled trailers way over 3000 lbs without any problem. But Long Island is flat as a board compared to the Rockies.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Dane that your overestimating the tongue weight. FWIW I've had my bike loaded in the bed and pulled trailers way over 3000 lbs without any problem. But Long Island is flat as a board compared to the Rockies.

I've towed my Rubicon Rock crawler on a car hauler up I-70 through the heart of the Rockies at 75mph with no problem. Motor isn't an issue in this payload equation. In fact it's the MOTOR that can get you in trouble. The truck has MORE than enough motor to go WAY past your payload allowance.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would rather not be held liable for any problems that could possibly happen when towing so i am not going to push it. i was able to get someone to tow it for me instead.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2/3 of the weight on the trailer should be loaded in front of the center line of the trailer. Your three quads can not be 3000 pounds total. None of them weigh 1000 pounds alone. So your more like max 600 to 700 pounds each for a total of no more than 2100 pounds. You can load heavy to the front that's no more than 1400 pounds on the heavy side. And your tongue weight is probably about 600 pounds max would be a safe bet.. So don't load to much in the truck and your way under the max load cap, GCVW, GVWR and GAWR.. G=Gross C=combined V=Vehicle W=weight R=rating A=Axle all these are weight limits... And your front and rear axles have different ratings.. Use a weight distribution hitch and off you go..