Passenger seat rattle... tick tick tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't stand rattles. They drive me crazy.

Every so often I'd hear this rapid tick come from the passenger seat when nobody was in it (maybe 2 or 3 ticks per second, for a second or two). It would happen every time going over a rough stretch of road, or those lane divider bumps, or a pothole... just enough to grab my attention and make me grind my teeth.

I ended up removing the headrest and that seemed to kill the tick. Of course this doesn't really solve the problem, since passengers should not sit there without it in (its a safety issue).

So today I set out to find and fix it. Turns out its really simple: the pouch on the back of the seat is padded inside, but the top edge is trimmed in the same material as the seat. The location and give of this pouch is *just enough* to wiggle back and forth, and with the headrest in, the weight of the chair is *just enough* to wiggle back and fourth *just enouhg*... the top edge of the pouch was slapping the back of the chair, and because of the material it was making a nice clear tick each with each slap.

I always carry a jacket in the truck so I just stuffed it in that pouch and silence reigns again. I love it when they're easy :)

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ya, I've got the same issue with the ticking noise coming the passenger seat. I haven't tried your fix yet.