Paint Protection - Protecting Your Raptor's Paint From "Pinstriping"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
TrailSkinZ

As an outdoor enthusist and caver, I often take my truck where the trail is way overgrown. The result, the good ole Texas Pinstripe. I figured there had to be something on the market to protect my “almost” new truck. Well there just wasn’t much out there. So, we spent several years perfecting TrailSkinZ™. Our product covers the entire side of your vehicle and part of the hood. Every panel is custom fit, contains dozens of super strong Neodymium magnets, and has safety flaps that close under the doors and hood. This allows all doors and the hood to open and close normally.

Great for the hunter, fisherman, ranch owner, or trailblazer that wants to keep that truck or SUV looking new for awhile longer. Stop at your gate, put it on, and stop worrying.

We can manufacture to meet any customizations you have made to your vehicle. Give us a try, save your paint, and enjoy the outdoors!

Off-Road Magnetics Inc.
Source: http://www.offroadmagnetics.com/

truck1.jpg

chris_back_door.jpg

01chev01.jpg

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Road Warrior Paint Protection

Now available in pint and 5 gallon sizes!!!! Road Warrior Plus Paint Protection fills a void in the paint protection industry. Easy to apply, easy to remove, RWP is virtually undetectable when rolled and allowed to dry. You may leave on all the time, or use temporarily when transporting your showbike, car, boat or anything else and need paint protection.

Protection and Temporary are the keys to our success. Water Based Protection Liquid Rolls on White and turns totally Clear when dry.

WATER-BASED - BREATHABLE - ENVIRONMENTALLY SAFE. Endorsed by Diamond Chrysler, PPG Industries and Boeing Corp. Quart or Gallon Size.

Additional Product Info
One Quart size will be able to completely cover a Goldwing, Harley or any large motorcycle approximately 15 times over when following instructions on can. You can ride your motorcycle to Wing Ding, Gold Rush, Sturgis or Daytona, or just trailer your motorcycle or boat every weekend, go down that dirt road, and when you you're ready, power wash or peel it off and enjoy that beautiful finish, or just leave it on. One coat of RWP will dry to approximately 3 to 4 mil in thickness. RWP makes it easier to clean off bugs, tar, prevent scratches and rock chips from normal road debris.

Description:
Road Warrior Plus Paint Protection is a "state of the art" aqueous polymeric copolymer emulsion that develops into a unique breathable protective skin. Somewhat like a "liquid" shrink wrap” packaging material. Providing finished surfaces with a temporary protective barrier to reduce nicks, scratches, and abrasions as well as a safeguard against environmental hazards.

Application:
Road Warrior Plus Paint Protection turns from a "milky" white liquid at application to a clear tough flexible vinyl film when dry. Road Warrior Plus Paint Protection is approximately 51% solids, is medium in viscosity, and is applied as received with no thinning required. Prior to application, gently stir, never aggressively agitate or shake.

Prior to coating application, surfaces should be clean and dry and at ambient room temperatures. Applications should be made at ambient temperatures above 65F. Pour liquid coating into paint roller pan. Use a "ROLLERLite"* paint roller, roller and pairnt tray included with purchase, thoroughly cover roller with a thick coating of Road Warrior Plus Paint Protection. Film thickness is important to the proper performance of the peelable coating. Recommended film build is from 6 to 8 mils wet (150 to 200 microns). Apply paint roller to surface using even strokes. Make sure to cover area completely to avoid creating thin spots (less than 2 mils or 50 microns). Apply two even coats. Wait until the first coat has turned clear before application of second coatings. Coverage of one Quart will cover any large motorcycle up to 15 times or more when directions are followed. Larger Gallon Size will yield approximately 250 sq. ft. of coverage area for applications like boats, cars, motor homes, ect.

Road Warrior Plus Paint Protection must be protected from freezing. Road Warrior Plus Paint Protection is provided in quarts for motorcycles or other smaller applications or one-gallon size for cars, boats, ect. Recommended Wet Film Thickness 6-8 mils wet and 3-4 when dry. Temporary paint protection against environmental hazards, rock chips, salt, corrosion, bugs, tar, and physical protection from minor nicks, scratches and abrasions. Developed with a proprietary water based formula, for use on any fully cured painted surface. Also great for use as a paint mask and or protecting custom paint jobs during shipping and reassembly. Great for boat trailers, autos, trucks, motorhomes, motorcycles. RWP is there when you need it and removable when you want to touch, feel, and wax your beautiful finish.

Source: http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail.php?pgroupid=24710

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
50' rolls of 20 mil Magnetic Sheeting with White Vinyl Face

Material is ideal for a variety of projects. It is easy to cut with scissors or utility knife and a straight edge. You can buy the magnetic sheeting by the linear foot or in 25' and 50' rolls. The material is 24.375" wide.
20 mil is not recommended for car door sign. 30 mil is recommended due to it's stronger pulling power.

Item:20ml-Vnl
The roll is 24.375" wide x 50'.
1-3 rolls 4-6 rolls 7-19 rolls 20+ rolls
$172.70 per roll $127.87 per roll $116.64 per roll $105.40 per roll

I think this is the material I need to get. If this is the stuff then we need to do a "group buy to save about $50 a roll.

lthough it says that 30 mil would be best because the 20 mil doesn't have enough magnetic pull.
http://new.custom-magnets.com/produc...340&cPath=2_47

Gotta spend more time researching this website - they have colored sheets in shorter rolls for less $ so maybe a group buy won't be as necessary.

http://www.custom-magnets.com/colored_magnetic_Sheets.htm

COLORED MAGNET SHEETS
We now offer our 30 mil magnetic sheeting in a variety of colors.

These rolls are 24.375" wide. You can purchase any length of the colored magnetic sheeting you need. For example if you purchase 5 feet you would receive a sheet of magnetic material 5 foot long by 24.375" wide.

black_magnetic_sheeting_small.jpg

http://www.custom-magnets.com/

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting stuff Dan. Thanks for posting it up!

Are you concerned about The Mojave Road? I didn't get the sense that we'll be cutting a path thru the brush.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I am. I've been told that the brush can be tight in places. Problem is those damn Jeeps are narrow and our Raptors well, they're W__I__D__E

Tim emailed me and said he's renting a Hummer! Knowing him he's not kidding...

I'm taking my Raptor - it goes everywhere offroad and it's going to make the Mojave Road too :)

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, I ordered the magnetic material:

24" wide x 50' roll x 30 mil thick (this is the thickness recommended by everyone I talked to)

Color of the material is white (great for you white Raptor owners). I'll have a zebra Raptor next week :)

Here's the company I bought from: www.magnet4less.com

Here's the web page: http://www.magnet4less.com/index.php?cPath=8

Applied Magnets
1111 Summit Avenue Suite #8; Plano, TX 75074 USA

Office Hours: Monday - Friday (9am to 5pm Central Time)
Closed for Lunch from 12:30 to 1:00 pm Central Time.
Telephone: Toll Free - 800-379-6818 972-432-6508 Fax 972-992-3998

Price of the material is $99.99 for the 50' roll (much better than another company that quoted $216 for a roll). Caution: Shipping is expensive. Via UPS ground from TX to CA is $47 (almost 50%).

Bkboggs

Reaction score
Dan, how did the magnetic sheets work? Thinking about doing the same. Did you notice any scratches or other items left behind by the sheets?

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for asking. I PM'd you.

The short answer: it works great.

The magnetic sheeting takes a lot of time to do right. I traced and cut paper patterns for the Raptor's sheet metal and used them as patterns/templatees to cut the sheeting. The sheeting works great. I sealed all the edges with the 3M tape (great product - no residue left behind after removing the tape).

There were no (zero) scratches wherever the sheeting was on my Raptor. The sheeting doesn't move around (it's held on magnetically and with the 3M tape). There were some scratches on some areas where there was no protection (side mirrors, front fenders, front corners around headlights, and B-pillars).

I highly recommend doing this if you're gonna run your Raptor in brush. Just be prepared to take hours to do it right. After you've done it right the first time you can re-use the material again and again (as long as you clean both sides after removing it).

You should look at these pics for more details on what's involved:
http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthrea...-My-Raptor-s-Paint-From-quot-Pinstriping-quot

You can see some pics of my Raptor with the magnetic sheeting on it here:

http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?248-The-Mojave-Road