Pads and rotors...baby Jesus help me.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caisaacson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received my r1 concepts brake pads and rotors today so naturally I decided to skip work and install them.

3 hours later, the passenger side is perfect but something is not right in the drivers side. As soon as I got back from the test drive I could smell unmistakeable smell of brakes coming from the drivers side wheel well. In addition to the smell, the rotor got so hot that it blued itself.

Ok so what could I have missed? I broke the drivers side down and checked everything. Pads had an ode pattern on them and the rotor was hot and dis colored but I found no obvious cause.

Fast forward, I put everything back together, test drove it again, but same results.

Who in this wide world of raptor owners can shed some light on this?

Side note: I put a thermal cam on both rotors following the second test drive. Drivers side was 200 degrees or more and passenger was 130-140. What temps are brakes rated for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

6cuda6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the brake line twisted? Everything moves freely? Does the piston move fairly smoothly when you push it back into the caliper? Does everything appear to be exactly like the other side placement wise? Are both sides of the rotor thermaled or just one? Did you hang the caliper by the hose when you did the brakes?

Quick test...raise the wheel off the ground and see if you can turn it by hand...then have someone step on the brakes and see if you can turn it....then see if you can turn it again after they release the brakes. The answer should be "yes" "no" "yes".... If the last one is "no" the caliper is hung up and may require rebuilding if the piston is not retracting "providing everything else related to this brake is as per factory)

Pm me if you need help directly....

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

caisaacson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1ca648cb95521d5da0c6e017e89e35de.jpg

ef27b45324fb75d9c84259edf2c5634c.jpg
f63eb9bb7f0db83acaac5b8dc1104ecf.jpg

RaptorBri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pads have an inside and outside orientation if I remember. If you have this wrong you will get binding. Also, check your caliber slides. Once your caliper is removed make sure they slide in/out freely.

jlatigo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your pads are not mounted correctly, you have two inners on one side and two outers on the other

OP
OP
C

caisaacson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your pads are not mounted correctly, you have two inners on one side and two outers on the other

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner!

Following my research last night, I started my day by picking up a drivers side caliper as I was sure it had to be the problem. When I broker it down this time I noticed a spot on the caliper that was scuffed down to bare metal and that's when I dawned on me. In my research last night I watched ten seconds of a video addressing this exact problem but immediately dismissed it and continue my research.

So now I know the problem. No big deal right? Just put the pads in their correct spot and reassemble. Then I can return the caliper and be good to go.

Not quite.

I jacked both side up the truck swapped pads and had the drivers side reassembled with zero problems. I began assembling the passenger side, greased all the necessary but as it proceed to grease the Pistons on the caliper I feel something odd. Low and behold, having the wrong pad in the passenger side caused one of the Pistons to press against a metal dimple that ended up taking a chip out of the piston. Not only that, but the driver side and passenger side calipers are different so my poor raptor will be on block until Monday.

On top of that I had a last minute obligation pop up so I'll be down to the wire on my snoball preps. It could be worse though so I'm at least thankful for that.

Thanks everyone for the input. I need to get some cell phone numbers so I have someone to call next time lol.

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has me interested. I consistently have one pad wearing excessively fast, and all the rest are full pads. If there is no indicator, how am I to tell if I have inner and outer pads mixed up?

OP
OP
C

caisaacson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has me interested. I consistently have one pad wearing excessively fast, and all the rest are full pads. If there is no indicator, how am I to tell if I have inner and outer pads mixed up?

Inner pads have have two humps on top of the pad that line up with the caliper Pistons. The outers have no bumps but rather smooth all the way across the top of the pad.

You should have one of each per side as seen in the pic below.

219a50e20ca9b0adc6f783a317eb35a0.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Those are my stock pads btw, cracked with less than 25k miles on them.