paddle shifter mod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
I don't really like the placement of the manual shift buttons, so I was wondering if anybody has thoughts about trying to install paddles or just individual buttons that are wired up to the shifter buttons that are installed onto the steering column. I would normally go about this myself, but I wont be able to order a 2012 until I get rid of 2 of my other vehicles.

Oh yea im new here! :wave: Been a member for a lil while now, creeping the threads, and have to say this site is so much better than the z. Looking toward to getting a Blue SRew by spring, and thanks to y'all, I already have a freaking huge mod list. Definitely can't wait to drive a raptor up in Silver Lake, MI, been going there for most of my life with mostly quads, and sand rails, latest being a 800 hp extreme performance long travel! :crazy:

Ok back to topic lol

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Glad you stuck around haha.

As for the paddle shift, I haven't heard of anything related to the new fords, however I'm sure it can be accomplished.

-Sent from my iPhone

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
From what I've seen on the 2011's it's just an electronic button on the side of the shifter. Seems like there wouldn't be a whole lot to stop you from wiring up something on the steering wheel if you were motivated enough to do it.

Personally I think on the stick would be convenient enough for me (I have a 2010 without this feature) because i always drive with one hand on the shifter anyway, even off road.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting idea. Should be somewhat easy to do. The only issue I see is that most aftermarket kits do not work with airbag steering wheels.
Electronically it should be simple to tap the wires and extend it up to steering wheel area. So in theory, momentary push buttons could be used and mounted to steering wheel.
View attachment 4729

Ford part numbers for these paddle shifters:
left hand: ag1z-3f885-aa
right hand: ag1z-3f884-aa

Just need to figure out mounting..

Last edited:

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think there is a wireless system you can hook up. I'm unsure how it works but when I get to a computer I'll search for it.

OP
OP
HAYNES OFFROAD

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Yea im not sure which route im gonna go with it, most likely gonna avoid buying a 'kit', and fab soothing up instead, if its just an electric momentary switch on the shifter than it should be half way easy to tap into those wires and run said wires through the column. Maybe fab up and attach either, say a carbon fiber or aluminum plate, in between steering wheel and fixed onto column, and have momentary buttons mounted onto that. If I go the more complicated route I could make actual paddles to hit some hidden buttons. I dunno, just some ideas I had. Lol

OP
OP
HAYNES OFFROAD

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
They've got a nice kit on there actually, but ouch, close to $500 for just the paddle kit. Which isn't much for a 45k truck, but I don't even know if those would work for it.