GEN 1 Overcharged A/C System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any local A/C shops around the DFW area? I accidently overcharged my a/c system using the AC Cold Pro from oreillys. Haha.
Thanks in advance.

How do you know you overcharged the system? How much damage would you do if you continued to run your AC?

OP
OP
svt_ivan

svt_ivan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know you overcharged the system? How much damage would you do if you continued to run your AC?

System was still cooling prior to charging but not enough. When recharging it I accidently let it go into the red zone on the gauges and system only blew hot air after. As well as my engine cooling fans now being on at all times is pretty much an indication of overcharged ac system.

Don't really know how much damage it can cause which is the reason I currently have it off.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Not accurate in technical terms but that's how I found out.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the ac is overcharged it causes the compressor to run hotter and obviously the condenser coil which is in front of the radiator, this in turn causes the radiator and tranny fluid to run hotter. Overcharging causes more pressure on the hoses etc, pressure and temperature rise the same on a sliding scale, think of it that way, cheers.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless it is grossly overcharged it should still work, except on hotter days.

Hotter days, likely be cycling on the high pressure switch.

Definitely be better to get it in as worse case you blow a line or worse, bring liquid back to your compressor (slug it) and blow the valves. Then you'll need a new compressor.

As too not cooling enough, unless you really had a leak the recharge is not going to help. What year is your truck?

There's a huge thread on the F150 forum where guys are 'faking' out the thermistor and getting their AC to run cooler. Basically the settings were too sensitive and it cuts out cooling too soon. Short of that or a leak more likely causes are - dirty condenser, dirty evaporator, lack of airflow (dirty evap, too many vents closed, fan not running at correct speed, cabin filter - if equipped dirty).

OP
OP
svt_ivan

svt_ivan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless it is grossly overcharged it should still work, except on hotter days.

Hotter days, likely be cycling on the high pressure switch.

Definitely be better to get it in as worse case you blow a line or worse, bring liquid back to your compressor (slug it) and blow the valves. Then you'll need a new compressor.

As too not cooling enough, unless you really had a leak the recharge is not going to help. What year is your truck?

There's a huge thread on the F150 forum where guys are 'faking' out the thermistor and getting their AC to run cooler. Basically the settings were too sensitive and it cuts out cooling too soon. Short of that or a leak more likely causes are - dirty condenser, dirty evaporator, lack of airflow (dirty evap, too many vents closed, fan not running at correct speed, cabin filter - if equipped dirty).

2011 with 100,*** miles. Can you point me in the direction of that thread regarding the faking of the thermistor?