Out their dam minds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A Raptor is a luxury purchase. As such I think it falls in a different category where supply and demand yield wacky pricing practices. When I was shopping you wouldn't believe the discount I was getting on a brand spanking new 2014 Tacoma Crewmax Platinum. $53K sticker for $47K. I still paid $50K for a used 2013 loaded Raptor with 26K miles.

Having said that, I won't buy a car from a dealer that puts those silly stickers on their cars. I won't buy gas on stations that charge more for credit than cash. It's a choice one makes. They sell, I don't buy.

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a guy here in town that paid 70k for his raptor. He is the president of a large local bank. Didn't matter to him. He bought what he wanted at a price he was OK with. Shame on him for being uninformed and allowing the dealer to charge a large markup.

I really can't blame the dealer though. Its the beauty of a free market economy. What people are willing to pay for a product, is by definition, what it's worth. Even if its only in that location at that time. If you can drive down the street and get one cheaper, its your fault for overpaying! No one is making you go out and overpay for a Raptor. You don't have to have a Raptor to stay warm, eat or drink. Look for a better deal or buy a different vehicle. This ain't ObamaCare! 70k for a Raptor is bad deal you can actually walk away from.

D

Deleted member 12951

I won't buy gas on stations that charge more for credit than cash. It's a choice one makes.

Sorry gotta say something here. Do you know why gas stations started doing this? Because it is what the MasterCard/Visa merchant agreement tells them to do. No business can charge more to use a MasterCard or Visa but instead needs to provide a cash discount. Nobody did it and just charged more regardless if you used a credit card or not. So we all pay more for stuff because of this crap. Gas stations offered the cash buyer what they were entitled to anyways. Blame the greedy, rip-off, arrogant credit card companies for this behavior. Then to top it off they turn around and provide higher educational schools and government agencies (DMV) the merchant agreement addendum that they can change extra for using a credit card, bunch of ******** that isn't fair to the small business. Every time a business charged me extra for using a credit card, I threw the merchant agreement in their face and they always changed their tune. Had a big purchase once and that business wouldn't do anything so I disputed it with the credit card company and won. I commend gas stations for doing the right thing and being upfront with their customers and following an agreement that they made when accepting to take credit cards when others clearly do not.

Straight from the merchant agreement:

5.11.2 Charges to Cardholders
A Merchant must not directly or indirectly require any Cardholder to pay a surcharge or any part of any Merchant discount or any contemporaneous finance charge in connection with a Transaction. A Merchant may provide a discount to its customers for cash payments. A Merchant is permitted to charge a fee (such as a bona fide commission, postage, expedited service or convenience fees, and the like) if the fee is imposed on all like transactions regardless of the form of payment used, or as the Corporation has expressly permitted in writing

http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/pdf/BM-Entire_Manual_public.pdf

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's ok. I understand. But my only choice is to buy or not. Around here the card only stations price their gas cheaper than the credit price of the ones using dual pricing. They have these tiny little signs next to the big cheaper prices saying "cash or *** credit card". So I see the cheap price, miss the little tiny disclaimer sign, get suckered right in. That's not the credit card companies making them do that. So I chose not to sponsor them at all.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A Raptor is a luxury purchase. As such I think it falls in a different category where supply and demand yield wacky pricing practices.

I can't agree. It's a truck. Ford views it as an F150 with "the Raptor Package" added. It comes off the F150 mass-assembly line like every other F150. You can easily pay more for a loaded FX4 or 2WD Chevy Silverado than for a Raptor with only standard equipment, and there is no way to load up a Raptor so that it commands a 6-figure price.

Having said that, I won't buy a car from a dealer that puts those silly stickers on their cars. I won't buy gas on stations that charge more for credit than cash. It's a choice one makes. They sell, I don't buy.

Truth and wisdom.