One and ONLY gas mileage thread please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Detroit to Pensacola and back

~80 mph freewayish speed.

1508583_997602808877_6508912866814448589_n.jpg

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably have to use better quality gas in the winter so the water don't freeze. Yes all gas has water in it ethanol just takes it out makes it separate.

Not sure if it's better quality.. as the mpg go considerably down as soon as the winter blend comes out. ..even if it's still warm out.

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given all things equal you should have more power in colder weather and better mileage. It's was 30F out this morning and with the summer blend I was still getting 14.5 mpg, so it's defiantly something to do with the crap the gas companies / tree huggers are forcing us to run in the winter.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^I can't drive 55 mph.........

Neither can I!

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

When gas is more dense cold it dose not vaporize like it should. Lol I don't know what I'm talking about.

When Wilson's brain is cold...

Okay, there's really something to temperature. Due to the hood and fender vents, the Raptor does a very good job of keeping under-hood temperatures within reason. Anybody ever notice the vents on the sides of the engine compartment of Volvo 18-wheel tractor-trailers? Same wisdom.

Here's a cheap experiment. Next time you come back to the house after having done some driving, pop the hood and feel the temperature of the intake hose running from the airbox to the throttle body. Warm? You betcha, quite warm. Warm air is less dense, and that ultimately means that less power is available.

Hint: Insulate the damn intake tube.

Whether you're running a CAI or the factory intake, insulating the tube will provide somewhat cooler combustion air to the engine. How much cooler? I don't know! It must depend upon every factor you can think of: ambient air temperature, under-hood temperature, rate of airflow through the intake tube, ambient barometric pressure, intake map, fuel octane and quality, etc. Insulating the intake tube has the potential to enhance the things we're all interested in.

(Lova ya, Wilson!) :)

Last edited:

Coolhand5599

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What have you tried to get better gas mileage?

What have you tried to get better gas mileage and what did it do for you? I bought a five star tune and I didn't get any better mileage. It does run smoother but that's it.

Marcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If gas milage is/was a concern you probably should not have bought a raptor.......you are trying to push a 6000lbs brick through the air.....milage is going to suck.....nothing you can do about that.

Bigdog44SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feed my truck a Prius or two everyday. That seems to help me go further. Must be the batteries!

Ha. This truck will not use gas only when in the off position.