One and ONLY gas mileage thread please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nodak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i started rompin her a little more, and by a little more i mean tearing ass after every stoplight and now im between 12.5-13

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
I'm pretty much seeing EPA numbers @ 1800 miles. Was hoping to beat those given how conservative they tend to be. The Raptor definitely seems to lose a lot of economy with airspeed (gee, wonder why? :D)

Have notice d that conservative driving doesn't seem to help much....especially when weighted against the fun of not doing so.

And btw, if you want to do a real highway calculation on your truck, make sure you do it in both directions. A 5mph headwind vs. tailwind will change your mileage by 25% or more...e.g., the dynamic pressure is 36% greater at 70mph than 60mph. And I'm going to venture a wild guess that drag is even more a factor on a Raptor than on just about anything this side of a flat plate.

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Octanes

So a month or so ago, I saw a thread on "that other forum" about higher octanes driving higher MPG numbers. I was skeptical but figured if it was true then it's worth trying. At the gas prices we are seeing a 1 MPG difference in mileage means that putting 91 vs. 87 into your tank actually saves a bit of money.

Over the first 3500 miles on the truck, I have used Mobil 87 exclusively and have an average MPG of 12.8 with combined town and some highway driving. Some of my highway driving is stop and go. But my schedule and driving habits are pretty constant.

I reset the MPG calculator and have now run 3 full tanks of 91 octane Mobil under identical conditions. When I first started this, I was optimistic because it seemed to be driving better MPG numbers. Unfortunately, that did not last. After 600 miles, I am still at EXACTLY 12.8 MPG.

I do think the 91 gives a bit better performance (not scientific) but in terms of MPG, it seems like a waste of $3 - $5 a tank.

nodak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took a trip to Desert Hot Springs this weekend and this is what i got, all interstate and had cruise set on 75 (except for about ten miles it was at about 65). this was on the way back i forgot to set it for the way there. it was pretty flat through a few valleys but then got hilly so i put the shifter in M and left it in sixth the whole time to avoid shifting. i was very happy with this.

Attachments

• 0212111823.jpg
    0212111823.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
I took the truck up to the Sierras today... 5000+ foot elevation, going between 70 and 80 all the way up. Then I spent some time crashing around in the snow, trying out all the 4WD goodies... quite a bit of idle time too. On the way home, I was running in the mid 70's again. I averaged right at 14 for the whole trip. It was pretty impressive for the kind of driving.