Oil filter gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BGA23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the oil yesterday in my Raptor and everything seemed to go fine. But after a trip to and from the gym I noticed some oil leaking down from the oil filter (hard to say how much, maybe a few a tablespoons or so). So went to re-tighten the filter, although I was pretty sure I put it on pretty snug and it seems to need more than just a little tightening. It was closer to almost a full turn loose.

I look at my old filter and notice there is no gasket on it, so this leads me to believe it stuck on my truck when I took it off. So it seems I now have two gaskets on and I'm guessing this is why it won't stay tight. My question is, if I just remove the new filter so I can take off the old gasket how much oil is going to come out/how much will I need to add back in?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup, your old filter can leave its gasket on the filter mount and thereby guarantee a leak. My understanding is that it usually happens when the gasket isn't oiled before installation. Regardless, inspection of the filter mount before installing a new filter is never a bad idea. It can save you some headaches for sure.

I doubt that even a Ford factory tech will be able to answer your question because nobody pulls the filter and then pulls the drain plug. But its not a problem. With a cold engine (because you're going to get oil on your hands and arms and you don't want it to be hot oil) put a real clean drain pan under the filter and unscrew it. Just let it drain because it needs to stop before you can fix your filter problem. Pull the old gasket off the filter mount, wipe it clean, and visually inspect it for bits of gasket stuck to it. If there are chunks of the old filter gasket stuck to the mount they'll have to come off. Then inspect the gasket on the filter you just unscrewed to make sure it isn't damaged either. If it is, you'll have to install a brand new filter. (HINT: Have a new filter ready just in case.) Remember to oil the gasket before installation. Then pour the oil that drained out back into the engine. It's new and your drain pan was clean, so no problem doing that.

Alternatively, you can pull the crankcase drain plug and drain all the oil out that way into your clean drain pan. That way will very likely be less messy, but you'll have almost 7 quarts of oil to add back to the engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BGA23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I pulled off the filter and sure enough, two gaskets and the old one was still completely in tact.

And for the record, not much oil came out. I'm guessing somewhere around 1/4 Q, maybe a little more.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been there, done that. Of course I was in high school at the time... You will spill a bit when you pull off the filter, but should only be a bit. Learning experience and all...

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I pulled off the filter and sure enough, two gaskets and the old one was still completely in tact.

And for the record, not much oil came out. I'm guessing somewhere around 1/4 Q, maybe a little more.

Jolly good!
Remember: Lubrication is a good thing.
Lube them gaskets, boys!
And, um, girls.
(Wouldn't want to leave anybody out, ya know?)

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You got really lucky. Double gasket could have blown at at speed- engine failures, fire, all that fun shit.

Whenever I teach someone how to change oil, that's a biggie. Look at the flange. Make sure there is not a gasket stuck to it prior to installing a new filter.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got really lucky. Double gasket could have blown at at speed- engine failures, fire, all that fun shit.

Whenever I teach someone how to change oil, that's a biggie. Look at the flange. Make sure there is not a gasket stuck to it prior to installing a new filter.

Right on. Cleaning the gasket mating surface is oil change basics 101. By doing that you have inspected the surface for an old gasket.