Off Road Trail Tools' Wheel Chocks (Chokes)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Tat of Off Road Trail Tools (www.offroadtrailtools.com). I ordered a pair of their chocks. He had two "blemished" models that he could sell me at a nice discount. Should have them early next week.

Img_0811.jpg

I went with these for several reasons. First and foremost, I appreciate a company willing to think outside the box. The engineering that went into these things is obvious; these were designed by Jeepers who understand the need for ultra strong components in a small compact package (I sincerely hope they look into making a collapsible jack stand, but I digress...). I also appreciate that they're made in the USA. Keeping jobs here, and all that... And of course the reviews universally say these things work incredibly well. Dirt, pavement, sand, mud, wet grass... glowing reviews all around. They're designed to support 3500lbs each (combined 7k), and can handle up to 39" tires, something not all chocks can do.

I've also read that they are designed to be used as a "traction device" when laid out flat. I've asked Tat via email for more info on this... I wonder if these might serve as something like a very small version of a MaxTrax or some such. I can't imagine they'd hold for small bridging use.

Yep, they're expensive at $99 each. But, given what they offer I think its worth it.

Find them here: http://www.offroadtrailtools.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=462

Here are a couple reviews of them in use:
http://www.offroaders.com/directory/products/ORTT_Wheel_Chokes.htm

http://www.4x4wire.com/new-products/practice-safe-winching

I'll post up some pics when they show up, and if time allows I'll actually try using them by lifting the truck again :blam:

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've also read that they are designed to be used as a "traction device" when laid out flat. I've asked Tat via email for more info on this... I wonder if these might serve as something like a very small version of a MaxTrax or some such. I can't imagine they'd hold for small bridging use.
Tat got back to me on this. Here's a scan he sent me from the Winter 2009 Overland Journal where they reviewed the ORTT chock as a traction device.

ortt1.jpg

He also sent me this pic from their testing:
IMG_1786_1_1.jpg

And here's a snippet from his email:
Tat of ORTT said:
If you were stuck in sand /mud, snow or ??? You could (unfold) and lay them in front of the tire for additional traction to get rolling.
<snip>
I would only do this as an emergency, due to the substrate. Since one might not be able to predict how hard the surface is or what tire inflation (psi), etc, etc.
<snip>
[Referring to using them on hard surfaces] I would use a floor mat first, but lots of Jeep guys don’t have carpet, or floor mats.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They arrived today. Very well packed. The quality is obvious.

ortt1-1.jpg

(I admit it... I really loved opening the box and seeing that Made in the USA sticker. Very cool touch.)

You've got to hold these things to appreciate how strong they are. The material looks to be 3/16" aluminum. Those raised ridges, or cleats, are stamped into (and out of) the aluminum. Awesome grippy-ness.

Only "knock" I can see is that there's no way to latch them closed. They want to open when you pick them up, and if you do so via the hinge, your finger is gonna get caught. Not a big deal, but something to know.

I'll try to find some time today or tomorrow to use them (along with my lift mate and hi-lift jack), and I'll take pics and jot down some more thoughts. But I can already tell these things are the answer to my chock problem... and no doubt would have prevented my oops with the hi-lift.

PS: The units I bought were "2nds", meaning they're blemishes. I dunno what these guys expect, but from what I can tell these "2nds" are better than most's "1sts". One of mine had a surface scratch across the face... you know, the same sort of scratch I can expect a dozen or so of the very first time I use them? The other has a discoloration line that I had to angle the thing just right to see. These are absolutely first rate products.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can't wait for the pics. What? Are you handing out teaser photos now? :)

How long was your wait?

New Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I think I'm going to go ahead and purchase me (2) pairs of these. Hopefully I can get (2) sets of 2nds since after a few uses they'll prolly be scratched to shit anyways but quality looks top notch!

(*All in the spirit of thread revival, I at least brought back a thread that's pretty helpful)