Is it normal to have power loss in heavy sand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do make sure the off road mode is engaged but the Raptor engineers say the car was well tested in sands in California and even in Dubai.

Could it be that the air filter needs cleaning?

Your filter could need cleaning but that wont cause the issues you stated. What you are describing happened to a lot of us at the Texas Raptor Run. Manual shifting is the best solution and be sure to keep the RPMs up.

OP
OP
alman

alman

Reaction score
Air filter is clean
I noticed that the traction control light flashes at about the same time the power goes down. So it seems the traction control never does get fully disabled even when you do it and the panel shows it disabled

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you pressing and holding for 10 seconds? That's how to disable it totally on the 2010s. Can't say for sure if that works on the later models though.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you pressing and holding for 10 seconds? That's how to disable it totally on the 2010s. Can't say for sure if that works on the later models though.

Ditto. ^ ^ ^ what he said....

works on mine everytime (unless of course I have my tires aired-down gottdamnedmotherfugginsheeeeit TPMS bullshat I hate you!)

Avmech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have to hold it down for 10 seconds you will get a ding when your first press it but continue to hold it down for longer and you will get a tone or a message on your screen if its a 2011, then turn off traction controll and lock the rear diff. the rear diff will only stay locked above 10 mph if the off road mode is in the proper mode. if your traction controll is flashing you dont have the off road mode working.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Make sure you do it in right order..
Lock locker
Off road mode
Press traction control once to get into sport mode and wait for message to disappear. Then press and hold traction control until chime and message pops up that say "traction control off"

If low pressure warning pops up, just press okay on steering wheel and message will go away.

-Greg

Last edited:

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Make sure you do it in right order..
Lock locker
Off road mode
Press traction control once to get into sport mode and wait for message to disappear. Then press and hold traction control until chime and message pops up that say "traction control off"

-Greg

Exactly! Also, be careful about shifting to park...I think that deletes some of the settings. (someone please verify?)

OP
OP
alman

alman

Reaction score
I do that but others have said they have the same thing. Here is a quote from another person with the same problem:

"I wrote about this a year ago, there is no way at this time to prevent the problem. I have taken my truck to Ford and had the computer reflashed, spoke with Mike at 5 Star and no matter what I do in really deep sand the traction control will kick in. Like Matt said, I have only experienced it in deep sand. Another reason why I am not a fan of sand besides the dunes that keep jumping out in front of my truck and bending my skid plate. Ha-ha
If someone comes up with a cure let us know."

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If low pressure warning pops up, just press okay on steering wheel and message will go away.

-Greg

2010s don't have an OK button. We have to revert to other tactics to override TPMS warning.

SVT-Raptor-Steering-Wheel.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Exactly! Also, be careful about shifting to park...I think that deletes some of the settings. (someone please verify?)

This is correct.