Noob question: Remove tailgate step and handle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd agree with you on the pole. But the step can be handy if you use it. I haven't used it a lot, but when I did I was glad that I had it.

Agreed, the Step is awesome, IMO. I'd like to see someone walk 2 full 5 gallon cans into the back of their bed without the step....

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed, the Step is awesome, IMO. I'd like to see someone walk 2 full 5 gallon cans into the back of their bed without the step....

It's not possible unless you have a multi-million dollar contract with an NBA team. :) The alternative, of course, is to put the cans on the tailgate, climb into the bed, and then pick the cans back up again to put them where they need to go. It's not bad, but it is less efficient.

In the event that you have a really, really heavy object (rock, tree stump, etc.) and you're working to get it into the bed, being able to put one foot on the step may make the difference between success or failure. Also, if you are loading or unloading a number of objects and are repeatedly going back and forth from the truck bed to the ground, the step will save a lot of energy and trouble.

I think that the design of the step is what makes it a good option, because it's truly optional. Unlike so-called bed extenders, the Ford step is completely unobtrusive when not in use. There's no drawback (except the poll) to having one.

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have bad knees from two many thousands of miles walking pavement. I love the step, and didn't think that I would. I could not care less about the stripper pole, though.

Mattyboy86

Reaction score
You can purchase the tailgate cap moulding from Ford, or an aftermarket one on ebay. The after market are generally chrome. Like everyone else said, the step is very useful. I would only take it off if for some reason you were trying to drop weight. The pole can be handy if you have kids that need assistance climbing up. My dad has a bad back and uses the pole all the time on his platinum. I recently bought a new raptor with a step and I'm happy to have it however, my last raptor had no step and the gate was about half the weight. The step gate is actually more expensive.

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never thought I would like the step... but after loading my first dirtbike in the bed, SOLD! Hand little bastid! Now just remember to fold the grippy part DOWN before you try to slide it back into the tailgate.

The stripper pole thing is freaking useless. Maybe when im 60 I'll have a greater appreciation for it though. I was thinking about taking it and the plastic off and getting the inside of tailgate rhino lined to match my bed. Not sure if theres any big gaping holes under there though. The plastic cover they have on there combined with the stupid pole make the tailgate SUCK for sitting on.