noisy shift from 6 gear to third

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When driving up a steep grade and I lift my foot off the accelerator the truck shifts to sixth gear, when I reapply the accelerator It makes a grinding scrapping sound when shifting into third. If i leave my foot slightly on the gas it does not do this . I am in two wheel high on or off pavement. The sound is heard from under the hood.

OP
OP
wanderfalk

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can drive around the problem but i was wondering if anyone else has noticed the noise. There was another thread here a while back that died after the person took the truck in for warranty work and was denied service on the basis of a magna flow muffler.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When driving up a steep grade and I lift my foot off the accelerator the truck shifts to sixth gear, when I reapply the accelerator It makes a grinding scrapping sound when shifting into third. If i leave my foot slightly on the gas it does not do this . I am in two wheel high on or off pavement. The sound is heard from under the hood.

It might be worthwhile to get this in front of your dealer, wanderfalk. If possible, take your tech on a test drive so you can show them what you're experiencing. How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

OP
OP
wanderfalk

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one else has barking scraping sound on downshifts (third gear)? The dealer suggested drive shaft and showed little interest in the problem. I have heard failing torque converters make a similar sound.

---------- Post added at 08:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

It might be worthwhile to get this in front of your dealer, wanderfalk. If possible, take your tech on a test drive so you can show them what you're experiencing. How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

I have about 15000 miles on the odo.

mike.s

Reaction score
I have not heard this on my truck. I rarely drive on steep grades. I have (on several occasions) floored it from 65 mph in 6th gear, and that will also make the truck downshift from 6th gear to 3rd gear. Do you still get the noise when doing this?

Gilligan

Reaction score
I may have had this happen to me twice when I was going up some really steep mountain roads, but while it concerned me I felt it was my fault. If I remember correctly both times it was when I went WOT but let up before the truck was able to get into the proper power range so it didn't know wtf was going on.

OP
OP
wanderfalk

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not at WOT just moderate throttle. Sounds a lot like the sound it makes in the morning after sitting all night. A grinding engagement that occurs just after start up -- you know the one.

Last edited: