"No Cap" Fuel Door and Replacing the Ford Supplied Funnel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good info Jason!

I had no idea about any Ford Funnel even though I have owned a Ford for the last 10 years...I just never ran out of gas I reckon. Anyhow, I'm going to go look for my funnel now and throw a caliper in the truck. Then when I get some time I'm going to stop by the local auto store and see what they have available.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good idea Ray. If I recall correctly, my Ford funnel was attached to the Ford jack, under the rear seats. If yours is missing, Ford owes you one.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And here I thought the Ford funnel was just a Raptor exclusive but according to our Mustang's manual it too has a funnel...somewhere. I guess they are now required to provide them with all capless vehicles, or all of the vehicles currently being produced.

Though I think it would have been nice for Ford to provide a larger funnel based on the Raptor's "intended purpose." Five gallons in five minutes does seem a tad turtle-ish and doesn't just waste that driver's time but it also wastes the others that may be in the convoy.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess they are now required to provide them with all capless vehicles, or all of the vehicles currently being produced.

My guess is the funnel is required simply because capless vehicles aren't really capless. The funnel pushes open the flap that Jason couldn't push open with other implements. And that flap (assumption) is the "cap" keeping gas and fumes in allowing Ford to produce a capless vehicle.

GasGasMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The number of people leaving their gas caps loose is astounding!
The cap less design prevents that. Plus, the ladies get to keep their digits clean.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The number of people leaving their gas caps loose is astounding!
The cap less design prevents that. Plus, the ladies get to keep their digits clean.

And a loose gas cap sets off the check engine light! That must have driven you and the rest of the techs crazy to deal with all the time.

GasGasMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EVAP codes are not too bad to diagnose.
We can run a live EVAP test, if it fails then you look to see if the cap has any problems.
If it doesn't, then we pump smoke through the fuel vapor lines and look for leaks.

The auto parts stores that run codes for people are making a killing selling parts based just on the trouble codes.
If you have an EVAP code, it does not mean the cap is leaking. It means the system can't create a vacuum and hold it.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OIC, this is the first I've seen or heard of capless gas lids....my Raptor came with a full tank of gas and my Harley/Stangs had standard caps. Anyhow, I walked outside and saw the Raptor's set up for the first time. I'm even more glad you guys brought this subject up.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OIC, this is the first I've seen or heard of capless gas lids....my Raptor came with a full tank of gas and my Harley/Stangs had standard caps. Anyhow, I walked outside and saw the Raptor's set up for the first time. I'm even more glad you guys brought this subject up.

There's a little white plastic funnel that should be clipped onto the outside of the jack assy. under the rear seat. (It should be in plain view... you don't need to remove the jack) Make sure you got one... mine was missing but the dealer got me a replacement without a problem.