New power steering lasted 1 week

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djscoutmaster

Reaction score
Got a new power steering pump installed last week. Drove 8hrs to yellowstone and went on 1 - 45min jeep trail and its done. No power steering while stopped and only minor assistance while moving.

Could it just be a bad pump?

Some more history

Put a new (offbrand) pump in my truck when i bought it 1 month ago and and secondary cooler (picture attached) and filter. after 1 month and 2-3 minor off road trails in moab the low pressure line blew off an ran the pump dry and it was dead. So i took it to the ford dealer to put a new pump on it. And that one just went out.

Is my secondary cooler or filter restrictive or causing excess cavitation? Will a rpg / icon resiviour help me?

I dont do lots of serious off roading but i want to be able to have fun on weekends and vacations.

88beb8ffff1a56a49afb37e5d8857576.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you following the installation process and doing a full flush and vacuum bleed on the system after replacing the pump?

OP
OP
D

djscoutmaster

Reaction score
Are you following the installation process and doing a full flush and vacuum bleed on the system after replacing the pump?

The first install no, the most recent one was ford doing the install so i was not able to observe what they did and if they followed those steps.

Its impossible to find RPG or icon reservoirs. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ive been told the gl motorsports reservoir doesn’t have the pressure bleeding to prevent cavitation and doesn’t work with my light bar mounted behind the grill....

There is a pressure relief valve on the GJ reservoir, it's the silver fitting on the top of the cap in the picture on the site. As for the light bar that might be a problem but it would depend on the bar you have and how it is mounting, send some pictures.

Chinmasterflex

Reaction score
I have a nearly identical setup to you except I'm running a 24" derale cooler and the RPG reservoir. I had gone through a couple of dealer installed pumps due to inadequate flushing of the system during install and probable resulting contamination. This last pump has been ok but I've noticed the fluid has started to show what appears to be metal particles once again after a few thousand miles of almost exclusively street driving.

I had been wondering if adding a spin on filter for contaminants might protect the pump a bit more.

If nothing else, at least the your pump should be covered under the motorcraft parts warranty

Raptor1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The link that was posted for the gl motorsports is a good upgrade. It comes with a filter on the bottom of the reservoir. If I was to guess the reason as to why it failed so quick is because it was not flushed right or the fluid was contaminated. I just got my pump replaced 2 weeks ago by a reputtable shop and its starting to whine occasionally when doing full turns. I have this upgrade in my list as well as a derale oil cooler with fans.