New guy with a few towing mod questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enigma94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just purchased a 14 crew cab a few weeks back, it was a long process with lots of research done and I'm happy I went with the raptor over a new 1500.

When I originally was doing my search on what to buy I had towing in mind and was kinda set on a regular travel trailer so weight wasn't going to be an issue. But a few family members have purchased some new RZRs so now I'm set on getting a toy hauler which are a lot heavier than a regular travel trailer... Through the research I've done on here and other places online it appears the only real limiting factor in tow weight over a regular f150 is the soft suspension.

I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting a custom set of deaver leafs for towing or if I should add a few leafs to the stock set up? I know a few manufactures make a towing bump stop setups but I don't plan to swap the stock fox shocks out for a while and I'd like to avoid that much sag anyways.

Trailer weight will be approx: 8500 loaded with the use of a weight distributing hitch obviously. I won't be towing that much, maybe 5-7 times a year and I won't be really using the trucks full off-road abilities on the trips so some travel loss won't be a big deal to me.

i know the raptor wasn't made to tow, but for what I do outside of towing it made way more sense to buy the raptor over a stock 1500 I'd end up having to lift.

Any help would be appreciated!!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get a new set of deavers for sure, and if you plan on ever offroading your raptor, you may as well get a bump stop kit (all vendors have them). Don't forget to adjust your air pressure accordingly. More will chime in.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
E

Enigma94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I was going to go with deaver's because of what I've read about the Nationals. I eventually want to get some Icons but that's down the road a bit. I'd like to stick with just a set of springs for now,13-1500 for a set of springs is a little bit more manageable then 4K for both springs and bump stops...

I know you guys are probably tired of people asking for advise on how to do things the truck wasn't meant to do so I appreciate the friendly info.

I own some property where some serious 4x4ing is needed to access it which is one of the main reasons for siding with the raptor over a stock 1500/2500 where I'd have to dump 3-5k into a decent lift just to get there without rattling my fillings out. Plus the resale of a raptor is far better than a used 15/2500 and everything is covered under a factory warranty. So even though I'm asking the truck to do the opposite of what it's made for a handful of times a year, in the long run I think I'll be much happier with off-road and on road performance when not towing.

Also, in my limited research I've only seen "towing" bumpstops by RPG, are these the direction to go once I get the funds or do other manufactures make similar set ups??

TIA!!

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
SVC also makes a frame support/bump stop kit as well. It is adjustable via a separate bump can and 3 bolts. Takes about 5-10 mins to adjust it from "Offroad mode" to "tow mode". It's a very popular option for those in your exact situation.

Let me know if you have any questions about it, we can also get you setup with a bump/deaver combo deal.

-Joseph Haynes

_20150904_095557_zps0wpbvtjv.jpg

_20150904_095541_zpsxs4s1eoq.jpg

socal2ks

Reaction score
I like towing with my +3 deavers and Svc adjustable bumps. I have towed a 20ft enclosed with a rzr xp41k loaded with tools and other stuff from kansas to ca several times. That is high speed towing 75mph with some bad roads.

It also handles my 14ft pj hydraulic dump trailer well too (really tongue heavy). The duramax usually handles this task.

If you have access to a nitrogen fill you can play with the psi to really dial it in for heavier loads.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Enigma94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I was looking to do a custom +3 deaver set up.

What's required for the SVC bump stop install? I'm a little apprehensive in doing them if welding or drilling on the frame is involved... How does this effect the warranty? I plan to have this truck for years that's why I payed more for low miles and will extend the warranty to 8/125 so I don't want to do anything that compromises coverage.