New Brakes installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeansGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got in on that July 4th deal Freedom Motor Sports was doing on the R1 brake package , from the beginning to the end the service was spot on and prompt . I got the front and rear Slotted and drilled rotors and Ceramic pads and installed them today . Nice package when opening them up powder coated rotors and everything looks great. Installed the whole thing took me around a hour and went for a ride . The noticeable difference in grabbing and reaction . I am happy with this set up . I liked the fact the rear replacement pads are a lot bigger then the stockers ( more meat on the pad area) . Not sure how many have got this set up but I can recommend it is worth the money .

https://raptor-svt.freedommotorspor...ct_info&cPath=1126_1128_1370&products_id=2106

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got in on that July 4th deal Freedom Motor Sports was doing on the R1 brake package , from the beginning to the end the service was spot on and prompt . I got the front and rear Slotted and drilled rotors and Ceramic pads and installed them today . Nice package when opening them up powder coated rotors and everything looks great. Installed the whole thing took me around a hour and went for a ride . The noticeable difference in grabbing and reaction . I am happy with this set up . I liked the fact the rear replacement pads are a lot bigger then the stockers ( more meat on the pad area) . Not sure how many have got this set up but I can recommend it is worth the money .

https://raptor-svt.freedommotorspor...ct_info&cPath=1126_1128_1370&products_id=2106

Glad you are happy with it. Seems really pricey for 2 sets of pads and 4 rotors with some pimpy holes drilled in em... I can get those same parts for less than $500 at my local parts store. Minus the holes/slots, which, of course, are for looks only.

D

Deleted member 12951

Glad you are happy with it. Seems really pricey for 2 sets of pads and 4 rotors with some pimpy holes drilled in em... I can get those same parts for less than $500 at my local parts store. Minus the holes/slots, which, of course, are for looks only.

For less than that you can get the same thing with slotted and dimpled at brakeperformance.com with free shipping if you don't want to afford the R1's.

But having said that, will probably spend more and get the R1's next time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Glad you were satisfied and thank you for the feedback! Having seen a set from my local auto parts store and a set of the R1s, I can assure you, there is a noticeable difference in quality. Let us know if we can ever be of any assistance to you in the future!

Buy my truck!

freedommotorsports.us

Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

silverworx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's also more than I can spend on brake stuffs but that's another good compliment I heard about their works.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad you were satisfied and thank you for the feedback! Having seen a set from my local auto parts store and a set of the R1s, I can assure you, there is a noticeable difference in quality. Let us know if we can ever be of any assistance to you in the future!

It looks like the pads in that kit are Centric Posiquiet ceramics. Correct?

I'm sure they are better than the cheap $60 economy rotor, but in what way are the rotors better quality than say, Centric's best rotor that goes for $100? Are they cast in China?

Sorry, but I just don't see $800 worth of parts there. $400 for premium rotors and $150 for the same pads. There's still $250 left on the table.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It looks like the pads in that kit are Centric Posiquiet ceramics. Correct?

I'm sure they are better than the cheap $60 economy rotor, but in what way are the rotors better quality than say, Centric's best rotor that goes for $100? Are they cast in China?

Sorry, but I just don't see $800 worth of parts there. $400 for premium rotors and $150 for the same pads. There's still $250 left on the table.

First, this customer took part in a 20% off sale with free shipping so they came in around $640. Most of our customer's wait until R1 runs a special to order.

Here is what R1 has to say about their product...

R1 Premier Series rotors provide the ultimate stopping power needed for demanding driving and harsh conditions. Manufactured using more Carbon, Chromium, and Molybdenum, these High Carbon rotors offer increased braking performance and strength. A center split core casting provides greater stability. Black Electro Coating protects against rust while extending rotor life. Mill balancing and double disc grinding reduces thickness variations for smoother stopping, minimal vibration, and improved break-in.

Cross-Drilled and Diamond Slotted rotors provide the maximum benefits in stopping power, durability and performance. Drilled holes reduces the heat that builds on the rotor by up to 105° F. Drilled holes are also chamfered, which reduces the potential for cracking. The Diamond slots remove brake and road debris and prevent pad glazing, extending the life of the pad and the rotor. The diamond tipped ends provide an indicator for rotor replacement. When tips are gone, rotor replacement is necessary.

This may or may not mean anything in comparison to another company's products but the countless number of positive reviews on our R1 brake packages is enough for me to know they are the best option on the market aside from moving to a BBK.

To your point about the drilled and slotted being for looks only, I would like to know what proof there is behind that. Drilled and slotted rotors have consistently proven to expel heat faster, increase bite, reduce pad wear, and a bunch of other misc advantages.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the drilled/slotted rotors reduce heat by more than 180* under hard braking. If they save a warped rotor, then they are worth it. I know that under HARD braking, there is zero brake fade with these. They actually start performing BETTER when they get hotter which is the polar opposite of the stock/flat rotors. Haven't run the other un-slotted/drilled aftermarket rotors mentioned above myself, but IMO these R1's are the shit compared to stock. Paired with stainless brake lines, I have a much stronger brake now that gets stronger the more I use them.....

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
$640 is a bit better, still about $100 too much though IMO.

I'll let it go- obviously you guys are convinced slotted and drilled rotors are an upgrade over plain discs. It's not worth my time to prove anything to anyone on that front.

Just wanted to see if there was anything truly better about these rotors other than fluffy descriptions from the people selling them. "Diamond slots"? The marketing group is strong at R1.

Still wondering if they are Chinese rotors....

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
$640 is a bit better, still about $100 too much though IMO.

I'll let it go- obviously you guys are convinced slotted and drilled rotors are an upgrade over plain discs. It's not worth my time to prove anything to anyone on that front.

Just wanted to see if there was anything truly better about these rotors other than fluffy descriptions from the people selling them. "Diamond slots"? The marketing group is strong at R1.

Still wondering if they are Chinese rotors....

Their manufacturing is done in Mexico, Canada, Europe, and Asia. All finish work such as machining, plating, and quality control is completed locally in California.

Not everyone prefers the drilled and slotted. I have sold a few OE replacements because of the issue of mud getting in and causing horrific squeaking until it's cleaned out. They're $10 less per rotor IIRC so cost really isn't a factor in choosing between the three options.

Marketing wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't talk their product up. You have a product that works for you and I respect that. That's the beauty of competition, it inspires innovation. Having had many customers who have replaced their stock brakes or had already replaced them and were finally moving to R1, I will always stand behind their product. I have never fielded one complaint about the brakes and I couldn't even tell you how many kits we have sold.

I should mention, we sell all of the other brands as well. R1 is who we stand behind and promote but if a customer requested another brand, we would sell it to them. R1s ELINE series is more competitive with the local box stores and EBC and Stoptech have good products to offer as well.