Nervous about purple cranium rear diff cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

troycrna

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read a couple things about the diff cover leaking after the purple cranium cage is installed. Before I put it on I want some opinions on if it is worth the risk or not. It seems like it would be a little hard to even tell its there. I wanted it for looks only, but if you cant really notice it I wonder if I even want it.

mblgjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No reason the piece itself would make the cover leak unless you didn't re-seal the cover/or broke the rtv seal during during installation.

Post-installation, if you bump it offroad, you could break the rtv seal and have a slow leak.

FelPro makes a gasket for the 9.75". Coat it very lightly with antiseize compound... I've never had it leak.

But for covers, Mags are pretty strong:

Ford 9.75" Ring Gear Differential Cover Fits the following vehicles Ford F150 & Vans Overall height is 3 1/2" 5 Quart capacity - Ford 9.75" - Off Road Unlimited

And TA has an actual girdle if you're putting down big power... I don't see this being necessary until the Whipple kits start getting common.

TA Performance 99-04 Lightning 9.75 Rear Differential Cover [TA-1804] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are just getting it for show, then just paint your cover. If you are worrying about breaking the seal, Which shouldn't happen with an install, then just get a half spider where you don't even need to take off the top bolts. I feel better knowing it is there when I'm in back country. I don't care if anyone sees it or not. just my opinion.

OP
OP
troycrna

troycrna

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still on the fence about putting it on. It sounds like I can put it on without altering the seal. Just curious....would you guys use anything like thread-lock on the bolts.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No on the thread lock. There's no force there to justify the extra strength, and when it comes time to remove them you're going to hate life if you break a bolt thanks to that stuff. If you really have to use something, dab some RTV on em before reinstalling. Or better yet, use some lock washers and call it good.

justthebest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine leak a small amount over a long time with the Spider. Also had two of their provided bolts break during install as I was torquing them to spec. Switched to a MagHytec & haven't had any issues so far (not quite a month).

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A bit late to this thread, but does anyone know if the magtec will work with the PC spider cage?

Last edited:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna say negative on the spider and mag working together.