need towing expertise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jdoyle22

Reaction score
yup figured this would be answer, appreciate the answers. Lighter trailer it is.

Smokinjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One option you may not have considered. If your not going to be moving more than a couple times, you could always hire someone to move it to the new location you will be working. Sounds like you are going to be traveling around with it though as an adventure of sorts. In that event, it will need to be lighter to be safe for yourself and others on the road.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will admit, one thing I've never quite gotten. Let's say you have an 8,000 pound trailer - right at the end of your max towing for a Screw. This means you should be sitting at around 800 pounds tongue weight and you have a max payload of something like 1,000 pounds. So add one normal sized 200 pound dude and that's it, nothing in the bed, no passengers, you're maxed out?

And you can't go anywhere, cause this assumes an empty gas tank, otherwise the gas takes away from the payload.

Last edited:

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will admit, one thing I've never quite gotten. Let's say you have an 8,000 pound trailer - right at the end of your max towing for a Screw. This means you should be sitting at around 800 pounds tongue weight and you have a max payload of something like 1,000 pounds. So add one normal sized 200 pound dude and that's it, nothing in the bed, no passengers, you're maxed out?

And you can't go anywhere, cause this assumes an empty gas tank, otherwise the gas takes away from the payload.

Correct.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I am glad this thread just came out! When I needed to pull a grain buggy that came in at just short of 12,000, I just hooked up and went. Other than some squat in the rear, off we went. I figured it is a truck, use it! Now I see the error in my ways.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So... we can't realistically tow 8,000 pounds - or really anything close to that.

technically you shouldn't, realistically you can. Now much more than that, it's not advised, but towing around that amount, or a little over, the truck does just fine. About 15% or so of my miles on my raptor are towing (love the separate trip meters for trailers!). I usually tow around 7,500 lbs between my trailer and race truck, then another couple hundred pounds in gear. Occasionally with the truck in full street trim it's closer to 8,000 lbs being towed. Add in a full tank of gas, a cabin full of passengers, it does just fine. One time I even towed over 10,000 lbs towing several pallets of pavers on my trailer and another 500+ lbs of pavers in the bed & cab, & a passenger. The truck handled it fine. Squatted more than usual, but accelerated, braked, and handled fine. I wouldn't do it frequently, and for the case of the OP question with towing regularly for 2 years or so with well over the rating, I wouldn't do it with the raptor. But occasional or even regular towing at or right around the towing limits, it'll do it fine.

Yeah not as good as a superduty, but it's still a multi function truck. And I'm not buying a dedicated tow truck for 15% of my mileage when 85% is still regular driving without a trailer.

Attachments

• Patio05.jpg
    Patio05.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Reptar Hyde.jpg
    Reptar Hyde.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Cecil-01.jpg
    Cecil-01.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Enclosed-02.jpg
    Enclosed-02.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 113

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
technically you shouldn't, realistically you can. Now much more than that, it's not advised, but towing around that amount, or a little over, the truck does just fine. About 15% or so of my miles on my raptor are towing (love the separate trip meters for trailers!). I usually tow around 7,500 lbs between my trailer and race truck, then another couple hundred pounds in gear. Occasionally with the truck in full street trim it's closer to 8,000 lbs being towed. Add in a full tank of gas, a cabin full of passengers, it does just fine. One time I even towed over 10,000 lbs towing several pallets of pavers on my trailer and another 500+ lbs of pavers in the bed & cab, & a passenger. The truck handled it fine. Squatted more than usual, but accelerated, braked, and handled fine. I wouldn't do it frequently, and for the case of the OP question with towing regularly for 2 years or so with well over the rating, I wouldn't do it with the raptor. But occasional or even regular towing at or right around the towing limits, it'll do it fine.

Yeah not as good as a superduty, but it's still a multi function truck. And I'm not buying a dedicated tow truck for 15% of my mileage when 85% is still regular driving without a trailer.

You have a SCREW it has a higher towing capacity than a SCAB.

Enigma94

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This just seems crazy to me! Aren't you worried about bending the frame from hitting the bump stops?

I just recently went on a camping trip and had 2 big coolers, 1 in the bed and one in the back seat, probably combined weight of 300-350 I also had 3 15 gallon water tanks with a combined weight of 360, plus some other misc stuff maybe another 100lbs. My rear was squatting so bad I had only 1.5" between the axle and bumpstops. I had to pull the water off and load it in my brothers truck just to feel comfortable driving 100 miles.....

Im actually really sick of having to look at bump stop clearance everytime I haul anything in the bed and I've only had the truck a month. A bumpstop kit can't come soon enough!