need towing expertise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdoyle22

Reaction score
Need some help from the experts. Here is the details, i have a 2013 raptor crew cab that i just purchased. Has 35k miles, new ko2 tires. I am looking at buying a tow haller and living in it for the next 2 years due to moving very often with my employer( crazy i know, but will save lots of $$ and be an awesome adventure). I am looking at possibly purchasing a jayco octane, weight is unloaded around 8300 LBS with a 1200lbs tongue weight. From what i understand is if you load toys in to the garage, it will reduce tongue weight. I understand i will have cargo, i am working on how much and what is will weigh. So here are the questions.

Can i tow this approx. 500 miles?

Will rebuilding the fox shocks help?

What suspension mods will help?

How will a weight distribution hitch help specific to the raptor?

What else do i need to know?

Appreciate the help!

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No your max payload is only 1000lbs that's your tongue weight plus you and other crap in your truck. If you want this trailer go buy an f250 to haul it or find a lighter trailer.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

One day I'm going to borrow a semi and park a low boy on your x5, ******** towing threads!

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No your max payload is only 1000lbs that's your tongue weight plus you and other crap in your truck. If you want this trailer go buy an f250 to haul it or find a lighter trailer.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

One day I'm going to borrow a semi and park a low boy on your x5, ******** towing threads!

God*

Enigma94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8300LBS dry is WAY too much if you plan on living in it, with all your other living necessities. The truck is rated at 8,000LBS max towing. I plan to tow a bit more than the max rating but only 500lbs max. Also the tongue weight of 1200 is WAAAAAY too much for this truck stock. My trailers tongue weight is 950lbs dry and I have A LOT of sag with it unloaded, only 1'' or so between the axle and stock bumpstop. Its true that toy haulers are made with a heavy tongue weight dry to compensate for being loaded with toys behind the rear axle of the trailer, but the dry weight of the trailer you listed is way too much to even consider loading anything in it, including water ect...

I plan to get a set of deaver +3s and a SVC bumpstop kit to help with towing, but at the above weights i'm not sure there's anything you could do to this truck to tow that much regularly.

If you plan on living in the trailer then i'd suggest a regular travel trailer over a toy hauler, they are WAAAAAY lighter, have more amenities and space and are a lot cheaper.