Need More Range... and a Bigger Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirt Bag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking for longer range

Not sure where this question fits as I did not want it in the fuel mileage thread. Its kind more like expedition relative...

Anyone find drop-in solutions for longer range/higher capacity replacement fuel tank?

I looked at Titan and the best solution is a tank that goes where the spare tire would be. Problem being that's where my spare tire is:)
I am looking for a higher capacity tank that would replace my existing 36 gallon tank.
Yeah, I know 36 gal is a lot but I want more so I can go further without transferring fuel from my jerry cans.

Thanks
DB

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This was just discussed not that long ago. I can't recall if it was in a raptor but someone posted a pic of a unit that fits where a tool box would go and it wasn't gaudy or obvious. I believe it had a pump though, not directly tied to the stock tank.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah having it tied to the OE tank would cause lots of issues with the evap control system in the fuel tank and case your ECU to start throwing codes.

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a Titan 50 and a custom bed tank in my f250 diesel. I asked about gasoline tanks when having the aux tank built and was told they're not legal. That may have been for Gravity feed type connections. May be worth asking about.

I've also heard good things about the tank for the spare location, if you don't need a spare there.

GabAlmighty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get a slip tank. You can get an L shaped slip with a toolbox built into. With our short ass beds it's only going to leave you with about 3' of bed after, maybe. But you'll have gained 80-90 gallons. That's the size of the slips we use at work. You can also get just straight fuel slips with no toolboxes that willl only take up about a 1' of your bed and only slightly less fuel.

Slips have built in pumps that you can wire into your existing aux fuse box. Or if you have some mad tyte fab skills you could rig in a second fuel tank on the opposite side of the existing tank, seen it done on a 4runner in Iceland. Guy had 3 OEM 4runner tanks under his rig.

And i'm calling BS on not being able to put gas in an aux tank.

Last edited:

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.transferflow.com

Found that pretty quick. They have done all of the DOT homework.

If you do into the fuel system you do get into all of the emission stuff, where the legality issues come in.

THey have some pretty big tanks and with an elelctric pump it would make filling back up pretty easy

Dirt Bag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All great suggestions but it still looks like its either bed space or spare tire location.
All I do now is pump straight out of 2 to 4 jerry cans direct into filler when needed.
Funny that no one had made a long range replacement tank or came up with a twin tank to feed to main from the passenger side like they make for the diesels. Looks like I am due for a trip to the wrecking yard to look at fuel tanks that might be able to be plumbed in :)

Where are the fab gurus with DOT clearance?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All great suggestions but it still looks like its either bed space or spare tire location.
All I do now is pump straight out of 2 to 4 jerry cans direct into filler when needed.
Funny that no one had made a long range replacement tank or came up with a twin tank to feed to main from the passenger side like they make for the diesels. Looks like I am due for a trip to the wrecking yard to look at fuel tanks that might be able to be plumbed in :)

Where are the fab gurus with DOT clearance?

This was intently looked at when @Squatting Dog was prepping for the bull run. I don't believe they where able to get past the dot legality issues.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get a slip tank. You can get an L shaped slip with a toolbox built into. With our short ass beds it's only going to leave you with about 3' of bed after, maybe. But you'll have gained 80-90 gallons. That's the size of the slips we use at work. You can also get just straight fuel slips with no toolboxes that willl only take up about a 1' of your bed and only slightly less fuel. Slips have built in pumps that you can wire into your existing aux fuse box. Or if you have some mad tyte fab skills you could rig in a second fuel tank on the opposite side of the existing tank, seen it done on a 4runner in Iceland. Guy had 3 OEM 4runner tanks under his rig. And i'm calling BS on not being able to put gas in an aux tank.

From transfer flows website:

When an auxiliary system is added to a gasoline powered vehicle, the fuel must be drawn through a pipe at the top of the tank. Balance lines or tanks in series so that one tank supplies another is not permitted. Gravity feeding from one tank to another using a balance line is illegal for all systems except ICC diesel systems

Like I said...it May have been for Gravity systems.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a shortage of gas stations around you guys or something that requires a bigger tank??