NEED HELP: NY registration problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While driving on the Taconic Pkwy near White Plains with a Toyota pickup without a camper top, I was pulled over by a Trooper who wanted to give me a ticket (and could by NY law) for driving a "commercial" vehicle on a parkway. Even though it was under weight and had passenger plates, the open bed was enough to pull me over.

However, when he looked in the bed of the truck and found a 450 lb black bear (I was coming home from hunting) I thought he was going to shit himself......!!!

He told me to just get off the parkway.

:emotions133:

What a ******** law. Clearly not commercial

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got my raptor ,commercial plates almost got a parking ticket for parking a commercial vehicle in a residential neighborhood wtf.going to try and get pass plates tomorrow. By the way I live in the bronx

Good Luck with that! DMV in Parkchester? Always was a nightmare!

Where in the Bronx are you? I am down there often. Mom & brother still live by Allerton & Eastchester.

SVTRaptorNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on Long Island. In order for me to get passenger plates my dealership had to register it as a suburban and prove to the dmv that it has a "permanently" affixed cap on the bed of the truck.

You may be able to find pictures of a similar colored raptor and submit them to the dmv.

Otherwise maybe someone you know can let you borrow a cap to show the dmv.

Here is a link to the NYS DMV FAQ on pickups with passenger plates.

http://dmv.ny.gov/org/registration/register-pick-truck-passenger-class-vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

A word of warning is if you do get registered as a suburban and are ever pulled over you can get a ticket for being registered out of class.

I've only heard of this happening once but just a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Evo Raptor

Reaction score
Man, the older I get the more this state sux. Like a prison. Wish I could get out but that's not an option atm. I finally get my dream truck, even traded in my paid off Evo just so I could afford it. I did move to wny 3 years ago from queens so the commercial plates aren't an issue up here. But I do sometimes still work in NYC from time to time and my moms is still there. Having comm plates is a huge pain in the ass if I wanna visit or work. I really don't care about the parkways. I know that city for over 40 years, I'll get around. My issue is with parking. I'm trying to wrap my head around this as well. I understand changing the class to suburban and all. All said and done. my question is, say I'm parked at my moms on the street with pass plates. say the meter runs out or whatever and he scans my window and it comes up suburban. The way I see it really is no, foolproof way around it. Unless I want to take a chance with my new 50g truck. I'll wind up in the pokie while my truck is being towed away on 2 wheels..anyone from there knows the mentality of these civil employees. I know if I try it I'll get pinched. To hell with cuomo and nys.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man, the older I get the more this state sux. Like a prison. Wish I could get out but that's not an option atm. I finally get my dream truck, even traded in my paid off Evo just so I could afford it. I did move to wny 3 years ago from queens so the commercial plates aren't an issue up here. But I do sometimes still work in NYC from time to time and my moms is still there. Having comm plates is a huge pain in the ass if I wanna visit or work. I really don't care about the parkways. I know that city for over 40 years, I'll get around. My issue is with parking. I'm trying to wrap my head around this as well. I understand changing the class to suburban and all. All said and done. my question is, say I'm parked at my moms on the street with pass plates. say the meter runs out or whatever and he scans my window and it comes up suburban. The way I see it really is no, foolproof way around it. Unless I want to take a chance with my new 50g truck. I'll wind up in the pokie while my truck is being towed away on 2 wheels..anyone from there knows the mentality of these civil employees. I know if I try it I'll get pinched. To hell with cuomo and nys.

I have mine registered as a Suburban. I have a parking garage at my place, so I only street or meter park it once a week on average. I think it's pretty low risk but I do agree there is a risk. I honestly don't think most city employees would know what a Suburban is. When I went, it was pretty easy to talk to the guy at the Herald Square DMV about the issue and get the registration changed.

Anyway, I didn't have much choice, as I really need to be able to use the Northern State Parkway to get home to visit my mom and dad and my brother who live out on the North Shore. The dealer also didn't tell me about the commercial plates until after the deal was done.

We're lucky that Chevy spent the money to get the Suburban properly classified. If they hadn't, we'd have no options.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just saw this thread today, I didn't know there's a problem registering Raptors in NY.

Mine says Passenger but I did not write down SVT Raptor on the form.
I just put F150 but it didn't matter they put the vin# in and the computer classifies it.
Maybe they change/updated the data base after I registered mine in Oct 2010 or is the 2009 5.4L that much lighter?
My Raptor weights 5176 lbs. I guess that's why it's so fast :)
Anything 6000 lbs. and up will throw a wrench in the works even at the tolls!!!!
And a passenger pickup truck needs a bed cover (not necessarily a cap) or it's considered a commercial vehicle, this is true for the tri-state area.
My neighbor keeps getting that ticket out in L.I. on his Ram 1500

Pick-up Trucks (Part 106.6 (c)) - you can register a pick-up truck in the passenger class if the pick-up truck complies with all of these requirements
  • the pick-up truck has an unladen weight of more than 5,000 lbs. and is used for non-commercial purposes
  • the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements
  • a permanent camper top completely encloses the truck bed, and which has one or more side windows
  • the pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or permanent camping equipment installed in the truck bed
    • 'camping equipment' indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle
    • if this equipment is removed and you use the pick-up truck, you must register the pick-up truck as a commercial vehicle
http://dmv.ny.gov/node/4079

Last edited:

Evo Raptor

Reaction score
Yeh. My super crew comes in at 5900 and change. Lousy 400 pounds over. Just don't feel comfortable manipulating the sys. Never works for me. Others have the luck. Was wondering if I had private parking could I still drive in and out of city (no parkways) with comm plates without hassle? I could understand if I lived there, I would have to play by the rules. Ny is a big state. Nyc dictates whole state? Unreal. Really should be treated like out of state. I live 5 hours from hell and rules shouldnt apply to me, since it makes no diff up here. I left nyc for quality of life and freedom. Yet somehow still ruins things. Only had truck 3-4 months and love it. But already hoping for a lighter 2016.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
NY DMV is all of NY

I didn't do it intentionally, like I said when he entered my vin# number that's what came up.

I just looked at my window sticker and the door tag, there isn't any curb or unladen weight.
Only GAWR front and back adding up to 7,400 lbs.
I know it says 6002 lbs. on Ford website for Scab but that's curb weight and I'm guessing it's the same as unladen.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So why does N.Y. have this law? I lived in WNY for five years and owned a new 2002 Chevy 1500 at the time. The dmv gave me commercial plates. I didn't know why or know a difference. All the trucks I saw around said commercial. After reading this, I guess there where some roads I shouldn't have driven on?
It's N.Y. trying to keep down traffic on theses roads?

Donate to Avery and be entered into a raffle for an awesome prize for your Raptor
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f195/november-pay-forward-event-38746/#post780993