NEED HELP: NY registration problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I went to the DMV to register my raptor. I'm doing transfer plates since I traded my Z06 in for my raptor and want to use the same plates. I fill out the forms, present them with all the documents they need, and the guy behind the counter tells me I need to register my truck as a commercial vehicle and will need commercial plates. I told him that it is not gonna be used as a commercial vehicle and that my cousin, who just got a new F150 Platinum, just transferred his plates from his BMW and they didnt say anything to him about that. I'd like to know what can I do? Was this guy just being a ******* and wanting me to register new plates to pay more money? It makes no sense. I see TONS of pickups in my area without commercial plates. What makes me so "special"? Really ******* pissed as I cant drive my truck now and really wanted to get this over with.

OP
OP
Stingray23

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so a fully loaded F150 platinum which is a supercrew weighs less then my raptor supercab at 5846? If I get the commercial plates, I cant drive everywhere.

fuzz

Reaction score
I have a 2010 and registered it with passenger plates. Try a different DMV.

OP
OP
Stingray23

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How can it weigh that much less then a raptor supercab? Crazy. Is there any way around this? Can I register it as a suburban?

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

I'm gonna try a different DMV tomorrow

Banned
Reaction score
so a fully loaded F150 platinum which is a supercrew weighs less then my raptor supercab at 5846? If I get the commercial plates, I cant drive everywhere.

What do you mean you can't drive anywhere with commercial plates?

I find it odd how they go by weights as to what you need to register it as. That seems so stupid.

If its a commercial vehicle, register it as such. Whether its a semi or a Prius.

If its a non commercial vehicle, register it as such! Again whether it's a semi or a Prius.

Some states are weird I guess.

OP
OP
Stingray23

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess it is. We're becoming as bad or worse then california.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

This is from the NY DMV website:

Modifications that Change a Vehicle Registration from Commercial Class to Passenger Class

Vans (Part 106.3 (d)). You can register a van in the passenger class if the van has:

at least one side window behind the driver, and
at least one seat or set of seat fittings that is installed behind the driver, or
camping equipment that is installed behind the driver. "Camping equipment" indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle. If this equipment is removed and you use the van, you must register the van as a commercial vehicle.

Pick-up Trucks (Part 106.6 (c)). You can register a pick-up truck in the passenger class if the pick-up truck complies with all of these requirements:

The pick-up truck has an unladen weight of more than 5,000 lbs. and is used for non-commercial purposes.
The pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements.
A permanent camper top completely encloses the truck bed, and which has one or more side windows.
The pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or permanent camping equipment that are installed in the truck bed. "Camping equipment" indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle. If this equipment is removed and you use the pick-up truck, you must register the pick-up truck as a commercial vehicle.

The DMV cannot examine your vehicle to determine the correct registration class. You must determine the correct registration class for your vehicle.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

That last sentence is interesting. So according to them, If I determine that it is classified as a passanger vehicle, then it is. So all I have to do is say that I do have all those modifications and then I'm set.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But u stiil have the weight issue. They may ask for a weight ticket if u claim to be under weight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

What roads can't u use? The palisades is my only issue and I driveit all the time almost everyday and never had an issue. My last track had commercial plates too. That's 6 years combined no issues with commercial plates.

Last edited: