Need help asap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 41k miles on my raptor, for whatever Reason my AC stopped working, i popped open the hood and i saw coolant residue on my radiator, seemed like i had an over heat condition. It still runs fine, never had a check engine light, and the temps never climbed, they seemed perfectly normal. Well i made it to vegas and needless to say my AC still isnt worki g, this is by far the worst experience i have ever had. It was 110 degrees and no ac. Im gonna try and add coolant tomorrow and see if it comes back on. I only have 40k and no issues, the coolant resevoir shows it havi g enough coolant, but i am wondering does anybody know if this thing has a reset for the AC? This honestly sucks so damn bad to a point to where it worries the hell out of me. My last f150 had 80k and i drove all over ca amd nv and never had this issue. For the record im TDY and have yet to see any dirt or sand within the past 20k miles, all i have been doing recently is hwy driving, but im still stuck out here, my warranty ended at 35k and im hoping its just a simple reset. Either way this does not sit well with me considering my wife is with me who is currently pregnant and i will bring it in to
tomorrow to make sure i wont break down off the side of the hwy...at any rate, if anybody knows anything it will be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never mind, come to find out, that green oily liquid was not my coolant but the r134 dye, as my refrigerant was completely released out of my truck!!! Wtf man! This is insane, i cant believe this could happen at the worst time, i still need to drive 12 hours in the am. And of course since i am just passed my 36k mark, i will have to fit the bill, this is bull****, i guess they installed some valve incorrectly? Im sorry, but this is pissing me off.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your discomfort. How do you know "they installed some valve incorrectly?' Did the dealership tell you? If so why didn't they fix it for you since the factory was responsible?

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes dealership said there was something wrong with the discharge service port valve or whatever, cant remember the exact verbage, and they said since its past my 36k mark, they are no longer responsible and ford just wont cut the bill, so the dealership definitly wont cut the bill out here in vegas. My extended warrant might, but its gonna take to long to repair here, so i am driving back to my house to try and get it fixed at my dealer who sold it to me. It just sucks cause i will still have to throw down the 100 dollar fee to use my extended warranty, which i feel i shouldnt have to pay a dime for something ford should have noticed.

I searched on the net last night and noticed some had leaks on their condensor, or their compressor itself. But man, 41k and im paying for ac repairs, thats insane.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally left dealership, paid 120 dollars for them to look at it, they said it will take a couple of days to fix. For the record, i am not even sure what they said is even right, im taking it in locally and will see whats the problem. Will update what they find and how much the cost was.

On a side note, when i was looking underneath yesterday, i noticed the brake like rubbing against a boot clamp, not sure if it came from the factory this way, but u may want to check the passenger side brake lines amd ensure they arent rubbing on anything. I basically gently bent the line away from the clamp where it generated a wear spot, to where it could possibly leak.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IIRC, every Ford extended warranty except the "powertrain only" version covers the major A/C components so hopefully you'll be OK.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes its a ford warranty, which does cover AC repairs. The guy at the dealership in vegas didnt even really look at it, so im worried if he even did a good diagnostics. Either way gonna bring it in as soon as possible.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back for an update.

As always, the dealership is hesitant on conducting repairs on my raptor and the first thing they look for is user abuse and so on. Well this wasn't and my other 2 issues that are being reported aren't as well. The pressure relief valve is what leaked, or basically blew. This is the EXACT same issue that posted with the TSB on all F150 model with 5.4l v8's, they didn't want to warrant the repair cause for one, it's past the 36k mark, and two, that TSB only applies to vehicles that were manufactured on or before dec 15 2009...well low and behold my truck left the assembly line on the 19th of December...a 4 day difference is what would have saved me 129 dollars spent in Vegas for the diagnostics check and my 100 dollar deductible to use my extended warranty.

Mind you, this is a known problem with this make and model, but I am still responsible. I wouldn't be too damn disgruntled if I didn't have to drive 12 hours in 100+ degree weather. I had no choice as this trip was due to a TDY, so I had orders in hand to return nlt yesterday.

My second problem, on the drive out there and on the drive back, I am starting to get the Ill sledge hammer noise during shifting, I am also getting a weary noise before moving from a complete stop...this is the same issue I have been bringing it in for since the 12k mile marker...so they said they will look into it tomorrow.

Last but not least, the big safety concern, this one doesn't sit well with me, and I will take pics as soon as possible before they conduct any repairs (if they conduct any). The brake line coming from the engine compartment to the front passenger brake, was rubbing against the axle boot clamp (shows visible signs of wear)...don't have the exact verbiage out in front of me, but basically it looks like they installed the incorrect brake line on that side! It wasn't even mounted in any of the holding brackets, and there is no way to bend the line to make it fit, I am wondering if they tried installing the left drivers side brake line on both sides. I am glad this relief valve busted before I drove the 12 hours back, or else I would have never noticed it. This alone is dead scary considering what would happen if I had a loss of brake fluid while going 75mph on the highway! Or better yet, while offroading!

I called ford to report this issue, as I seriously hope others don't have the same configuration.

And on the refer relief valve...seriously think that doesn't apply to my truck when all the refrigerant leaked out of my truck through the relief valve while driving through inclement weather conditions? I seriously hope they aren't hiding recalls or TSB's for the sake of sales...cause when I called ford, they said there aren't ANY TSB's or recalls out for any raptor manufactured passed dec 15 2009.

I doubt they would do something like that, as that's where they got sent to the ****ter not too long ago, and these new production runs were suppose to be the new answer and boost better sales......

I have to admit, I'm dead worried.

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your ford esp warranty will cover the AC issues and if there is a TSB out for the same issue you have, they will fix and cover the costs. Press the issue with them. As far as the brake line, could this be from off roading and hitting something that might have caused it. Your extended warranty may cover this to depending on what plan you have. I was 22 years AF retired Feb 2007. Loved every minute of it. Thanks for your service and hope they take care of you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts