Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBONE21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I need your advise. I sold my raptor 6 months ago to buy the family a suburban. Well I am missing my raptor bad.
My family company provides me with a truck of my choice. I love diesels and have a 2012 f350 dually loaded out. Gorgeous truck.
I used to race legend cars and had to have a diesel for my massive enclosed trailer. Well it sold last week and I want to try to get another Raptor. All I tow now is a polaris rzr and sometimes a big skid steer on a heavy all steel reids trailer.
I love the luxury of going up the mountain and never seeing my diesel downshift or nothing. When I took my raptor it had to tach up and come down to 4th gear to get up the hill. My question is, is that bad for the motor and tranny to be taching up like that vs the diesel. Makes me feel its wearing on the motor and tranny.
Lastly I worry about towing the heavy loads. I do not want to bend the rear frame.
Its hard going from a diesel to a gas but I have had alot of DEF Faults like my 2011 powerstroke and the emissions on diesels are killing them.
Going to a raptor would ride a ton better when I am unloaded which is 90% of the time and also cost me less.

I appreciate all your responses and welcome as many as I can get. Its hard of the thought to give up a truck I can tow whatever I want whenever I want and giving up a diesel but getting back a Raptor is just so awesome. Best riding truck I have ever owned and I am thinking I could still do some heavy hauling with it and hopefully avoid killing the frame with being more practical.

My dealer has a Raptor 2013 perfect for me ready to roll.

Txfight00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy the raptor. Then buy new rear springs. WSI has some that work well for trucks that tow. Just remember that heavier duty leafs are designed to run with some weight in the bed all the time

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I need your advise. I sold my raptor 6 months ago to buy the family a suburban. Well I am missing my raptor bad.
My family company provides me with a truck of my choice. I love diesels and have a 2012 f350 dually loaded out. Gorgeous truck.
I used to race legend cars and had to have a diesel for my massive enclosed trailer. Well it sold last week and I want to try to get another Raptor. All I tow now is a polaris rzr and sometimes a big skid steer on a heavy all steel reids trailer.
I love the luxury of going up the mountain and never seeing my diesel downshift or nothing. When I took my raptor it had to tach up and come down to 4th gear to get up the hill. My question is, is that bad for the motor and tranny to be taching up like that vs the diesel. Makes me feel its wearing on the motor and tranny.
Lastly I worry about towing the heavy loads. I do not want to bend the rear frame.
Its hard going from a diesel to a gas but I have had alot of DEF Faults like my 2011 powerstroke and the emissions on diesels are killing them.
Going to a raptor would ride a ton better when I am unloaded which is 90% of the time and also cost me less.

I appreciate all your responses and welcome as many as I can get. Its hard of the thought to give up a truck I can tow whatever I want whenever I want and giving up a diesel but getting back a Raptor is just so awesome. Best riding truck I have ever owned and I am thinking I could still do some heavy hauling with it and hopefully avoid killing the frame with being more practical.

My dealer has a Raptor 2013 perfect for me ready to roll.

In your post, I see a lot of "hauling" comments, but no "offroading" comments, so perhaps a Raptor is not the best fit for your needs....

OP
OP
TBONE21

TBONE21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rarely tow I usually only tow my rzr to west virginia. about 5 times a year I tow my bobcat skid steer and my ford diesel farm tractor around town for a few miles but thats it. The rest is running around working on gas pumps not towing a durn thing.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

I do some off road. I have a farm and love the raptor. I used to have one and sold it for a suburban I want one back. Best riding truck I have ever drove.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Im not so worried about the weight as I am the tongue weight. Don't want it to bottom out and bend the frame over a bump while towing.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes just do it! There are a few things you can do to make it easier to tow lime getting a set of heavy duty leaf springs and even going with the RPG stage 3 with the longer bumps to help with heavier loads when towing!

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, what is the answer you are looking for?
Personally, I sold my F250 diesel when I bought a Raptor. I sold it because my Raptor could do everything that I needed the diesel to do. It can even tow my travel trailer, though admittedly not as well. I am going to be curious about the first time I have to tow up to the mountains. I am happy with it, and if you want one, you will likely be happy with it at least 90% of the time.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue hits on a good point, you need to decide whether you haul or off road more.
I had F-250's /350's for years, but once I got rid of all the race cars and such F150's have done the job for me. I agree, it is hard to give up the ability to hook up to any trailer and go, but having a truck that can roar down any trail far outweighs the towing ability. You can always rent a truck for towing. Not so easy to rent a fully capable off roader..