Mystery...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Black_Valkyrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been at the dealer a week now. Went to pick it up yesterday and found it unwashed, front inside and out covered in oil and various oil hand prints. Fluid dripping out of it left over from working on it. Coolant missing. Tech broke the metal bracket that holds the relay box on..Also broke the entire plastic frame that holds the condenser and cable tied the wires on top to nearby hoses instead. This is what I can see from the top of the engine without taking it apart.

Still at the dealer. Pretty much worse case scenario.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thats unfortunate.

work on vehicles does require time and skill and physical endurance.
something many 18 year olds fresh out of highschool do not have.

Pyro3601

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add flat rate into the situation and you are bound for some sloppy hurried crappy work as the techs trying to make up for the money/time lost on the last warranty job.

OP
OP
B

Black_Valkyrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So they put it back together. Went to pick it up. Admittedly better than Last time, however they managed to break off one of the clips (again) on the bracket that holds the oil cooler in place. Again, did not own up to it. Again they failed to find it but to me it was obvious. That clip is part of the entire assembly that surrounds the condenser so now they have broken two perfectly good units. On to #3. My guess is about 6 hours to change that part each time.

Starting to feel sorry for them. They washed the truck this time but not the engine bay where they had dumped all the fluid.

3rd time lucky? Service manager is nice. Feel super bad for him.

OP
OP
B

Black_Valkyrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I wait for parts, new mystery... post the 2nd attempt at the "repair" truck constantly emits a strange "hot" smell from front drivers side engine area lower right. Nothing apparent leaking but smell is powerful (you can smell it 10 feet away from the truxk) and doesn't go away. Initially thought it was fluids burning off but it's 200 miles later and still does it. Smell gets into cabin too.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely a coolant leak that is dripping onto the exhaust...

As I wait for parts, new mystery... post the 2nd attempt at the "repair" truck constantly emits a strange "hot" smell from front drivers side engine area lower right. Nothing apparent leaking but smell is powerful (you can smell it 10 feet away from the truxk) and doesn't go away. Initially thought it was fluids burning off but it's 200 miles later and still does it. Smell gets into cabin too.

OP
OP
B

Black_Valkyrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update... got my Raptor back (take 3!) This time they had a really cool fellow work on it who.is a gearhead and knows his stuff. Looks better than stock! Got a Ford beanie out of the deal. Patience and politeness paid off.

Thanks for the info everyone provided !