Moisture in Headlights - Warranty Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReyLorenzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I noticed some condensation and moisture in both headlights. My truck is barely 5 months old and still under factory warranty. Is this something that would be covered under warranty? I can't imagine this being a "common" problem with our trucks.

image.jpg

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Drive around with the headlights on for a while and see if they don't clear up. I've read that there are vent holes in the housing so under the right conditions you might get some fogging. If it doesn't clear up definitely take it in and have them looked at.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Today I noticed some condensation and moisture in both headlights. My truck is barely 5 months old and still under factory warranty. Is this something that would be covered under warranty? I can't imagine this being a "common" problem with our trucks.

Hi ReyLorenzo,

Some condensation in the lamp assembly is normal. Check out the section titled "Lamp Assembly Condensation" starting on page 252 in the third printing of your Owner's Manual. You can download a free copy of it here: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage If you're concerned or the condensation doesn't clear up, you can always have your dealership inspect.

Crystal

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry but it's BS and only acceptable to Ford not the customer. Some OEMs have this issue and some do not on their HIDs. Guess which ones put higher quality housings in their vehicles? Quality control is lacking on these units evident by the fact that some F150s have the issue and some do not.

That said, I had the same issue when I first picked up some '14 HID takeoffs and installed on my truck. Condensation would come and go depending on the weather conditions. After some research I found a solution on the Hyundai forums of all places. The Genesis has a similar issue.

First pull the headlight out of the truck, remove the bottom connector and bulb and turn the whole thing over to dump the water out. You'll be surprised how much may have accumulated over time. Then take a hair dryer and get it as dry as possible. Rig it up and leave it for half an hour or so.

Then find a small desiccant pack and place it inside the very bottom of the housing pushing it back far enough and wedging it there so as you won't see it from the outside once the headlight is reinstalled. This will take care of any moisture before it has a chance to build up and fog the lenses.

I also ran a bead of clear silicone all around the original black seal because I could see pin holes in various places.

I have about 6k miles on the truck after this fix with no further issue.