Mods vs warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience with the local dealership was so bad with my one issue I'd have never thought would be questioned that I have all but written them off. I mostly self insure because I plan to mod bigger items through attrition. It seems like it's less hassle to just do the work myself so I know it's done correctly. I have the tools, know-how, and another car so I don't worry about things.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've built a good reputation with the local dealer, (they subscribe to my youtube channel too). They are pretty honest with me about what they can / can't cover. They always push to get things covered, and if Ford warranty comes back no,then I pay for it.

Having a good relationship with them has meant that they put my truck to the front of the line, and reserve the best techs to work on it.

2manytrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have the stomach for dealing with the dealership and calling them on their BS, then I would say don't mod.

If you have a stomach for dealing with the dealership and just don't know, stick to basic mods that are easily undone in the event that you need to go to the dealer and until you can find out if they are "mod-friendly"...in that case take care of your service advisor and the lead SVT mechanic and mod away.

it never hurts to find out what kind of ***** or beer the folks taking care of you like to drink...just saying

SVT Bob18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranty Question

Just wondering...how far can you go with mods before you void your factory warranty? I want to do the "small" mods, but don't want to jeopardize my warranty status. I'm thinking CAI for starters. Would that void my warranty?

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Overall warranty can't be voided. Only things not covered would be damage they think your modifications caused. If you modify the suspension and your power windows go out no relationship so your good for example. The initial response to your mods is at the dealer level. Ford makes the decision based on dealer input. Dealer response varies a lot. Mine is good and has fixed a good amount under warranty. Your results may vary.
I have a CAI and tune on mine as far as engine mods go. Not a single issue with the dealer.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering...how far can you go with mods before you void your factory warranty? I want to do the "small" mods, but don't want to jeopardize my warranty status. I'm thinking CAI for starters. Would that void my warranty?

Maybe, it al has todo with the 'issue' that comes up. It also depends on the dealer. If you want to ensure that you will not have issues leave your truck completely stock.

Otherwise, if the mod has nothing to do with the issue and/or your mods are done in a professional manner you should be fine.

D

Deleted member 12951

Yep, all dependent on your dealer. Some could be ***** about a CAI. Could always take it off and put factory on whenever taking it in.

I was mod shy in the beginning for the same very reason. But once I replaced my rear leaf springs, figured that would be something to blame if anything goes wrong with rear end. Mid-perch, could blame the front now. PS resv upgrade, could blame that. Exhaust, yet another. I could go on. I finally gave up and just got a tuner. Figured at some point if you want to play, you might have to pay and as long as you know that up front, then there won't be any surprises.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The bottom line is that if you do something to your truck that causes a problem, don't expect Ford to pay for it. Man up and take responsibility. If you can't or don't want to, then don't mod.

On the other hand, if your dealer refuses to fix your AC under warranty because of your CAI, find another dealer. They're idiots, why would you want them touching your truck anyway?

ALDABRAMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had two Raptors and horrible experiences with all three local dealerships here in SW Florida. My current thoughts are just drive it till $36,000 and then it is all on me!

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take this for what it is worth, but I would never let a dealer touch my truck as soon as I drove it off the lot. I take it to a guy who works on only ford trucks and has had a shop for 25 years, and his newest, lowest tech is a guy who was one of the head techs at one of the biggest dealerships in Houston! I have done a ton of stuff to my truck, but if the AC goes out I will go to the dealership and get it fixed under warranty. If one will not do it, eventually another one will. I asked the head service manager the day I bought my truck about mid-perch and he looked at me like I had 3 heads. He had no clue. I am sure some out there have found dealerships who do good work, but these are specialty trucks, and should be treated as such. Take them to people who have experience with them. Not some fresh out of school tech who just finished working on a ford focus as he starts working on your Raptor.