Mods vs warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rageinthecage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to do headers, full pipes, tune , and cai. Just wondering about the factory warrenty and what mods void it.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I called SVT about warranty issuses. they said doing mods does not automatically void warranty, it would still have to go through investigation as to what caused any damage.
I'm sure it would be harder to get warrarty repair if a mod was invold. In my opinion.

Raptoyd11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called SVT about warranty issuses. they said doing mods does not automatically void warranty, it would still have to go through investigation as to what caused any damage.
I'm sure it would be harder to get warrarty repair if a mod was invold. In my opinion.

Exactly, just an excuse if you have a non-conforming dealership.

OP
OP
R

Rageinthecage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was worried about dumping a shit ton of money into the truck and having an issue with something and them haveing ammo to not do war. work because of mods. Im not sure its in me to leave it bone stock till the war. is up.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I feel ya, I have the 8 year 100,000 mile and will be adding the 5 year 60,000 mile Whipple Supercharger warranty. Dealer installed!

I'm sure if something happens I'll have to battle :Big Laugh:

Last edited:

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is a great recap of some basic fundamentals of warranty work.

Normally your warranty can't be "VOID" except for a few reasons:

1. The odometer cannot be verified:
If there is evidence the odometer has been messed with or disconnected at some point, your warranty can bd void. This is because if your warranty mileage cannot be proven. You could have 60,000 miles on your truck and if the odometer says 23,000, technically you would be out of warranty. THIS HAS TO BE PROVEN BY DEALER.

2. Vehicle has been in a major accident and repaired:
If your vehicle has been in a major accident, most likely there will be additional problems down the road. Ford cannot be held responsible for something related to an accident. Most vehicles that have warranties voided for this reason have a salvage title issued by the issurance company. THIS HAS TO BE PROVEN BY DEALER.

3. Your vehicle has a salvage title
If your vehicle has a salvage title it is because it was in a major accident or under water. FORD cannot be held responsible for something related to water or accident damage. THIS HAS TO BE PROVEN BY DEALER.

There may be a few other reasons, but these are the most popular. Most have to do with accident or odometer fraud.

Alot of people think that because their vehicle is modified or "abused" that the service advisor, the dealership or manufacturer can void their warranty. They cannot!! Most people that go to the dealer and have an issue with something not being covered STILL HAVE A WARRANTY. Their warranty has not been voided, their warranty claim has been denied. There is a difference.

For example, if you have a problem with your transmission and the dealership or manufacturer determines it will not be covered under warranty, they are still under obligation to fix your window regulator if it breaks, as long as the window regulator was not damaged due to outside influences.

If you modify and/or abuse your car, that is not reason for your warranty to be voided. IT HAS TO BE PROVEN that the modification and/or abuse caused the defect. And even then your warranty is not voided, the warranty claim was just denied. Other things on your vehicle not affected by the modification and/or abuse are still covered.

Most people think that because something was not covered under warranty that their warranty is automatically voided. They don't understand that just that "claim" was denied.

If you are ever told that your warranty is "voided", make sure they are saying the ENTIRE warranty is voided, and not that the warranty claim was denied. If they say that the warranty is voided, get it in writing and call the manufacturer. Most likely it is just the claim that was denied.

It is also possible to get just portions of your warranty voided. For instance, if you have had your vehicle painted because of scratches or you change the color, then only your paint warranty could be voided. The paint is no longer original so the manufacturer is under no obligation to cover it. It is now the responsiblity of whomever painted it. Alternately, if the manufacturer has proven that you have abused your vehicle or done aftermarket modifications that are irreversible, those portions of your warranty may be "void" or canceled going forward.

Please read the following information below for more details info regarding the "Magnuson Moss Warranty Act":
http://www.futurememorysolutions.com...-Understanding.

Raptor girl

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I went to the Dealer and asked about mods. They told me if I wanted Air Induction and a programmer, they would warranty it, as long as it was from Hennessy and Dealer installed. So that's what I did. Even though I thought it was insane to pay to have those install, when I have a perfectly good man at home to do it for me. I just didn't want to take any chances with my warranty.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
So Ford backs Hennessy products.

No. No. No. They can't void your warranty for aftermarket mods. It doesn't matter what company/brand. The only time your warranty comes in to question is IF there is a failure related to your aftermarket part or modification. Until "something" happens...they can't back any parts except their own

Sent from my right thumb using Tapatalk.

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you modify and/or abuse your car, that is not reason for your warranty to be voided. IT HAS TO BE PROVEN that the modification and/or abuse caused the defect.

I wish you would stop spreading this incorrect information across the forums. The dealer does NOT have to prove anything. All they have to say is..."no, we feel that your cold air intake added increased airflow into the intake manifold with led to a power increase which led to your transmission failing."

At that point the consumer must either accept it and pay out of pocket, tell them to eff off and find another dealer, or hire an attorney and fight it. Yes, you will probably win in court after having expert witnesses testify on your behalf, but you will not likely get your attorney's fees...so you are out a lot of money and time.

And yes, I'm speaking form experience...been there done that.