Mod Priority thoughts / Advice?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

I've been debating about either a front bumper (Rogue Throttle) or shock upgrade (Icon, Fox, King).

What started me on this quest was because I already damaged my factory bumper that I ended up getting a replacement. As I head to another raptor run, I am concerned I will damage the replacement and might not get a good deal again.

So I am better off getting the after-market bumper and keep the factory in case I ever sell the truck. Or should I just upgrade the shocks if I found a place that can supply replacement factory bumpers cheap (might be able to buy 3 of them up front)? My thought here is with better shocks, might not damage the factory bumper so don't need the after-market one.

I know there is a price difference. Or should I say the hell with it and just upgrade both? (that's probably a dumb question here because everyone likes to spend someone else's money).

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been debating about either a front bumper (Rogue Throttle) or shock upgrade (Icon, Fox, King).

What started me on this quest was because I already damaged my factory bumper that I ended up getting a replacement. As I head to another raptor run, I am concerned I will damage the replacement and might not get a good deal again.

So I am better off getting the after-market bumper and keep the factory in case I ever sell the truck. Or should I just upgrade the shocks if I found a place that can supply replacement factory bumpers cheap (might be able to buy 3 of them up front)? My thought here is with better shocks, might not damage the factory bumper so don't need the after-market one.

I know there is a price difference. Or should I say the hell with it and just upgrade both? (that's probably a dumb question here because everyone likes to spend someone else's money).

I had similar issues. I went with the bumper (RPG Raceline) because I believe the significant increase in approach angle will make more difference than the shocks. Plus, the front end already outruns the rear, so if you are only doing the front, you'll compound the issue.

With high speed running, when you hit something 8 to 12 inches high, by the time the wheels hit it, the shocks compress, and then decompress, I believe the majority of the time the front end has already smashed what you are running at. New shocks are going to help since they'll be stiffer, but I don't think there is enough lift in aftermarket shocks to make that significant of a difference.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score

Just upgrading your shocks will just make it easier to damage front bumper. The extra performance and speed you will achieve will just make your oem bumper end up being beat up again.

If you upgrade shocks, your definitely gonna have to go with a front bumper that increases attack clearance, such as SVC's.

Or you could just upgrade bumper (such as Svc's) and enjoy the stock suspension a Lil longer.

Either way, pm me for a price on a svc bumper! Haha

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Upgrading the suspension doesn't give you any more travel. You won't gain any inches. If you doing something fast enough to bash your skid plate, it doesn't matter what shocks you have.

slowest member of WCPR

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

So is the thought if you don't go with a bumper that requires cutting the frame horn to give you more clearance up front, then don't bother with a bumper that uses the stock mount points? That those bumpers are more or less for looks?

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
So is the thought if you don't go with a bumper that requires cutting the frame horn to give you more clearance up front, then don't bother with a bumper that uses the stock mount points? That those bumpers are more or less for looks?

If your looking to get the MOST ground clearance out of a bumper, then yes you have to get a frame cut required bumper.

The frame horns/stock bumper mounting points are what takes away alot of attack angle.

I wouldn't say the bumpers that use stock mounting points are just for looks, they do have they're purposes. Room for winches, lots of lights, heavier duty (heavier weight as well). But i have not seen one that really gives any good amount of extra ground clearance.

20140524_205351_zpsek8jtr2l.jpg

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

I can get the Rogue Throttle (new) and front and rear Icon's (slightly used) for $4900.....

155mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just duct tape your damaged bumper together, use it on the run, then put the undamaged bumper back on afterwards? :grd: