Moab suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna be in Moab for a few days over spring break. First time. Any great trails or roads you would definitely recommend to have some mellow fun with the Raptor and my two boys? Not interested in low speed rock crawling...thinking higher speed, open road or scenic. Thanks.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive never been to Moab, but I tried researching some of the more popular trails for high-speed sections to try and help you out. Most of the descriptions sound more Jeep friendly than Raptor friendly, but here's one that stuck out to me:

Poison Spider Mesa
Trailhead: Lat: 38 32' 1" / Lon: 109 36' 24"
Directions: Head north out of Moab on Highway 191. About a mile past the Colorado River bridge, turn west on Highway 279. The trailhead is about 6 miles ahead on the right.
Description: Maybe Moab's most popular trail, Poison Spider leaves the Potash Road (check out the dinosaur tracks over your shoulder as you leave the road) and climbs to the scenic rim along sloping rock layers. Some of the ledges are quite difficult, but the views of the fins of Behind the Rocks and the La Sal Mountains are worth the drive. Up on top, there are a couple of short high-speed runs through pastureland, but most of the trail is tougher. A highlight is Little Arch, which you can look through and see the Colorado River far below.

OP
OP
bfr

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that Bojangles...

Been doing some reading myself and have a decent list of possibilities. Will probably ask for some local knowledge when I get there.

OP
OP
bfr

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a nifty little booklet that the Jeep rental place put together. It has a list of approved trails that you are allowed to take the 4-door Jeep Sport Unlimited on (not a Rubicon as I had said elsewhere). I'll check when I return it...I think it is all stock except for maybe new tires and rims. Only had 890 miles when I picked it up. I left the booklet in the Jeep but I'll duplicate the basic list here when I retrieve it. Funny thing is...I asked if everything in Arches National Park was OK. Guy said "yep, no problem. Pretty much all paved except for a few places it turns to dirt...but all good."

Well we got on a trail yesterday that was plenty challenging for uninitiated me...and I'm not so sure I'd have wanted to have my Raptor on it. A bit narrow in places and the shorter wheelbase with high clearance was definitely preferred. Some slow speed rock crawling and careful route choices were key. Soft sand steeps with the weight of a Raptor might have been tricky. 4x4 Review I read later recommending airing down the tires at the start. I'll post some pics from my camera later. Anyway, had a blast! and I don't intend to mention it to the rental place. If they care supposedly they have GPS monitoring anyway. Whatever.

So if anyone is game the trail is not named on the park map. One review called it the Four Wheel Drive Road. Here's the info:

http://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/upload/archmap.pdf

Directions from Main Arches Natl Park Entrance: Drive 16.7 miles northward along the Main Park Road to Salt Valley Road (dirt). Turn left and follow Salt Valley Road 7.7 miles toward Klondike Bluffs til you get to Tower Arch Road. Turn left on to Tower Arch Road. You'll soon come to an uphill rocky section. You can walk up a way and ascertain whether you're committed or not. That is almost as bad as it gets. If you decide to bail, do it before you start as turning back is not really an option on most of the trail. After about 1.7 miles Tower Arch Rd continues on SW-erly while Four Wheel Drive road goes off SE-erly (or to the left). That's it. Stay on the trail for about 9.0 miles...keep your speed through the soft sandy sections. As you approach balanced rock you'll come to Willow Flats Road. Go left and soon you'll be back on the pavement.

Park warns about slippery rock after rain or snow and possible flooding problems in some of the low areas. I'd recommend doing it with 2 vehicles.

This review covers that first part and then some...but I assume is probably indicative of the whole trail I was on.

I'll post that other trail info soon.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the short high speed sections, poison spider is not what you're looking for. There are some sand washes north of Moab that are precisely what the Raptor is designed for. Stop in at M-40 offroad and they will give you all the directions and advise you are looking for.

FSM

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know you said you were looking for more high speed stuff...but ever since I saw some pictures and videos from this, I've always wanted to go to Moab. It's the Lion's Back. It's not a difficult trail from what I've heard/read on forums, but it is a little sketchy. Do a search for some videos...it just looks awesome and I can't imagine the views.

Moabman

Reaction score
Moab

I live in Moab, and just pick up a book on trails, you cannot go wrong with any of them. You could spend weeks and weeks and never go on the same trail twice. Have fun, don't miss the trails in Canyon Lands National Park. If you want to camp you need a permit for the park.