Miller Motorsports Park Raptor Course

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-Quinn-

Reaction score
Has anyone taken this course? It seems rather expensive for a day at the track but perhaps it's good for someone that doesn't off road much and would like some supervised experience?
Raptor Assault 1-Day School

I searched and could not find a thread on this, so if it's been discussed please feel free to flame me.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
It seems expensive for what you get. If your wallet is OK with it then it might be worthwhile.

My early experience in my teens came from "lessons learned stupidity" while off-roading in the Mojave Desert with various toys.

In the early 90's I was with several Jeep groups and learned even more from them which led to my working for the Camp Jeep and Jeep Jamboree events as an instructor for the Jeep noobs.

Funny thing is that I have 25+ years experience but with the Raptor it is almost like having to learn things all over. Short wheelbase on narrow trails with 4WD is far different than high-speed 2WD in the open desert. It's one thing to know how to correct a skid vs. deliberately throwing your vehicle in to a skid!

Look for some local off-road groups. Some are vehicle specific but most are open and it doesn't matter what you run. You don't want to join Red Rock 4-Wheelers and then head out for Poison Spider in Moab. However Red Rock does have runs for stock vehicles and beginners. Local groups are where you want to start.

BeachWarrior

Reaction score
I went to the Raptor Assault Course in April 2013 and thought it was great. It is a little expensive, but you get excellent instruction on all of the features of the Raptor. You also get to take that knowledge out to their course and get experience doing it in one of their trucks. My favorite part of the course was the rock crawling instruction. Since I live in Florida, I don't get to do any real rock climbing. It was impressive to drive a Raptor onto a 30 degree side incline and learn to have the confidence that it will handle it. You also learn to drift turns and jump the stock truck safely within its limits. The instructors are fantastic and will answer any question you have about your truck. I have years of southeast mudding experience, but I thought the experience at that course was worth the money.

factive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard good feedback from others who have attended and I was seriously thinking about going and taking some friends with me. But while I was as the track racing sport bikes I met a couple of the (then?) instructors and talked to them for awhile. I came away very un-impressed with their lack of knowledge about Raptors and the sport of off road racing altogether. They seemed more like car racing guys to me. That's my experience so take it with a grain. You might be better off just driving 15 mins past Tooele and getting seat time in your own truck.

I will say though, the Miller Motorsports Park is a world class venue and I took a motorcycle racing school there twice and can't say enough good things about that experience.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Quinn,
If you can afford the price do it! I attended 2 years ago after spending 40 plus years playing in the sand. I learned so much I 'm thinking of doing it again. The instructors were VERY knowledgeable and answered every question thoroughly. It's amazing what these trucks can do if you know what you're doing. The most difficult thing for me to learn was left foot braking going into a curve; this shifts the weight forward giving more traction to the front wheels while you're steering; this in turn allows you to stay on the throttle much earlier upon exiting the turn.
Miller Motorsports Park is definitely a first class facility; so too the Raptor Assault!
Eddie