GEN 1 Might trade to a 2018 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just sold my 2011 Gen1 to the local dealer a few hours ago...no looking back. Looked out the window at that old dinosaur for the last month or so since I got my 2018 halfway across the country from a different dealer. No regrets. Just didn't wanna **** with a private sale. If you love the build on the new truck you're looking at...pull the trigger. You won't regret it. Just be sure to light up the tires on your Gen1 coming around every corner and at every stop light as you drive to the dealer...I know I did!!

I get what Gen1 lovers feel when they talk about how tough that style looks...I felt the same way...7 years ago! In my mind the new truck does not stick out as much...and I am fine with that. It is a much quieter, more refined, loaded with tech truck that still leaves the 14mpg dinosaur in the weeds. Can't wait to get the Whipple Stage 1 on it...talk about a sleeper. ;-)

mpbowyer

Reaction score
Why would you trade it in? Sell it for $5k to $10k more. It only takes a little more effort than making your original post. Even if you spend a half day with someone you're making like a $million a year that day.

Nimrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 12 that I loved, I now have a 17. The torque, steering, 3” shocks, better fitting seats, Sync 3, mpg, rear bed lighting, on and on are all better. I get 17 mpg at 77 mph average highway and 15.3 around town compared to 12.5 and 9.5 on the 2012. I can’t even tell you how much better the Gen 2 is but that’s just me.

It’s not often you get more hp, more torque with a much flatter torque curve and better mpg. That’s like crazy.
The Gen 1 is awesome but putting down the Gen 2 makes no sense what so ever.

Last edited:

ace75

Reaction score
I’m making the switch too, from a 2012 to a 2018. Ford has made too many improvements and changes with the 2nd gen. I was and am happy with my 2012. Ignorance is bliss. I checked the 2nd gen out at the dealer and saw all the improvements. They pretty much addressed all the wants that crossed my mind, as minor as they may have been.
Throughout the years of ownership, things that I had thought would have been nice were the following:
Better fuel economy, more power, better headlights, rain sensing wipers, more bass( I upgraded my sub to the kicker sub which is a great upgrade), ability to turn on the front camera without having to jump through hoops as well as a better sunroof (mine had been replaced twice, once out of pocket and once under warranty) I acknowledge that the sunroof is still tbd, but ford really seemed to have been listening. I think that there were probably a lot of people that shared my sentiments in what they’d do to improve on the 1st gen raptor. On top of all that, they added a lot of new stuff that I had never even thought of like adaptive cruise control, truck bed illumination, awd, and 360 cameras, just to name a few things. The only thing that really left a bad taste in my mouth is he steep price of the new trucks. However, it would be cost prohibitive to try and improve and modify my current truck to match he improvements made on the 2nd gen raptors. This is a long winded post, but I think that it sums it up pretty well. Anyone that wants to play devils advocate, please feel free to chime in.

OP
OP
Krazykorean

Krazykorean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone has valid points and trust me I thought about it all. But anyways they sold the truck before I got there so I still have mine, haha.

I still think I am going to move to the Gen2, and going to take all my mods off this one since I wont get any more for the trade in. Been calling dealers everywhere with no markup, can't believe 1 dealer wanted 15k above MSRP.

derise

Reaction score
I would keep your Gen 1. I own a 2018 SCREW 802a white. I love my gen 2 and would not give it up for a Gen 1 but your trucks looks like it’s in great condition and has very low mileage. At the end of the day it’s a great truck no matter Gen1 or Gen2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Krazykorean

Krazykorean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a dealer that’s doing 1500 under Msrp but has more options on the truck than I wanted and it’s blue. Still can’t decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the itch!!! Lol you already had your mind made up:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk