GEN 1 Marbles in a can noise 2013 SCab on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 SuperCab, 127,000 miles.

Went out for a drive with my wife and when getting on the freeway, she asked "do you hear that noise?"...I'm obviously pretty deaf and never really noticed it - but it definitely is a new noise.

On acceleration, mild or hard, it sounds like marbles rattling in a can. Deceleration, cruising, it goes quiet.

In park, increasing engine rpm, nothing - sounds normal, no marbles.

In gear, increasing engine rpm - sounds normal, no marbles.

No discernable "whine" but the rattling noise could be masking it.

Tried a plethora of search terms here and nothing came up which was similar to what I'm hearing/describing. Like to have some insights before subjecting myself to the dealership.

Thanks

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
OP
OP
Jimster58

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree - now trying to source a dusty, cobwebbed, but serviceable y-pipe and cats for a reasonable price from fellow FRF members who upgraded their exhaust systems. I'm not ready for that step yet as other parts of the Raptor restoration project take priority over a new exhaust system and spending $1K or more on new oem/aftermarket cats does not make rational sense.

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like you've already figured it out - but yup, sounds like a busted up cat. I've had one go out on mine. Expect to see a code soon. Stock replacement is insanely expensive - like $1,700. Aftermarket you wanna replace both. I was looking at about $800 parts and labor from a local shop for the fix.
In the end I won the warranty battle and got it replaced for free.

OP
OP
Jimster58

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you've already figured it out - but yup, sounds like a busted up cat. I've had one go out on mine. Expect to see a code soon. Stock replacement is insanely expensive - like $1,700. Aftermarket you wanna replace both. I was looking at about $800 parts and labor from a local shop for the fix.
In the end I won the warranty battle and got it replaced for free.

Dane - how did you get a warranty replacement? Extended warranty coverage?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
reciprocating saw, some welding equipment and a 6 pack.

your location says greensboro. Are you in one of the #fakesmogcheck jurisdictions? if not, well, use your best judgment.

If it is the cat breaking up as suspected, your power could tank too. My poor old Exploder could only go 60 mph up hill flat out in this condition. Of course, the 92 exploder made less peak power than the Raptor at idle, but you get the idea.

good luck!

OP
OP
Jimster58

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly - but not willing to bet on it. Rather just stop-gap it right until something better can be installed.

Already noticing a difference in engine sound, muffled a bit, and possibly related decline in the mileage. Was consistently getting 14-15 average - down to 12.5-ish, but that might be the Costco gas...

Truck definitely does sound different.

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
did you try banging on the converter with your hand or a soft hammer to confirm?

the first thing i thought of when you said marbles in a can, is timing chain tensioner or cam phaser issues. I've never heard a 6.2L with a loose/bad timing chain, but thats usually what it sounds like in other vehicles and motorcycles

OP
OP
Jimster58

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes - unfortunately very, very familiar with that sound. Had a 2006 FX4 with the 5.4L 3v...cam phasers went kaput.

Not the same sound and glad the 6.2L engines typically don't suffer from that same craptastic engineering.

Lifted the truck, checked u-joints, checked for bearing noise, nothing.

Aside from discovering that I need new rear brakes/rotors (parking brakes are kaput), all looked fine. Ordered new oem parking brake assemblies and R1 Concepts Geomet drilled/slotted rotors and Posi-Quiet pads.

I took a rubber mallet to every heat shield and anything else that could possibly make that sound. Beat on the cats and there was a definite rattle that was more than just the heat shields resonating.

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dane - how did you get a warranty replacement? Extended warranty coverage?

I did have an extended warranty at the time, but the cats are actually covered by a required 80,000 mile warranty.

I did have to do some fighting due to my supercharger, but they eventually worked with me and covered it - it's a Roush supercharger installed by a Roush dealer. Roush Raptors come from the factory with the same cats. They didn't have a leg to stand on saying the supercharger caused it.

As suggested above, a light banging on the cat with a soft hammer (even my fist worked) can tell you if it's the cat. You'll probably hear something rattle around, even faintly. There SHOULD be nothing of the sort, so even a little and it's bad. This will also help you determine which cat is bad. It's probably just one.