Lowrance GPS (standalone unit) VS iPad (tablets)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rmeir

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which app are you using for the iPad or iPhone? They are many of them on the App Store. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hackleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used motionx on my ipad simply because i have an ipad and it is cheaper to buy a $1.99 app vs a gps unit.

I wish ford sync would allow you to upload a course or trail to the stock nav!!!

OP
OP
S

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wish there was a way to install better software into the stock unit. I wonder why they can't? You would think they could, with the capabilities of the nav-TV to unlock other features.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I run a Lowrance HDS 5m Gen2 with a Topo Map software package, as well as MoitionX on my iPad and iPhone.

If you pre-position maps on the iDevices, then cellular signal isn't required. I'd say the built in GPS of the full size iPad and iPhone is not as accurate as the Lowrance.

I really like the physical buttons on the Lowrance. I can manipulate them without looking where as on the iDevice I have to pinch and zoom or hunt and peck for a virtual button which can be tough while you're driving and off road.

I will say, with my topo map overlay, the route is washed out when I come to a somewhat major road. Because I can't change the width of the track I'm following, it makes it tough to see when there is a road/highway over the top. I either pop the SD card out or rely on my iPhone.

Yes the Lowrance is purpose built and expensive, but I have no regrets after pre-running and leading a group for SnoBall II.