Lowrance GPS (standalone unit) VS iPad (tablets)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was going to use my iPad with motion x at Snoball. Unfortunately my GPS receiver took a shit and the new one didn't make it in time. Second, without Internet connection, you'll have to download the area you'll be in so you have the detailed maps. You also can't utilize the shared location function. I pulled it up on my phone and when I had signal, which is another problem in some areas, it worked perfectly.

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lowrance is far more accurate than the iPad. This becomes important with preran courses where hazards are marked. The units themselves are much tougher as well since they are designed for marine use.

Where are you located?

OP
OP
S

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lowrance is far more accurate than the iPad. This becomes important with preran courses where hazards are marked. The units themselves are much tougher as well since they are designed for marine use.

Where are you located?

Central coast california. I'm (relatively) near offroad areas like Barstow, Vegas, ocotillo.

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got it, than you may want to go with the lowrance. Raptor Expeditions only provides map files in lowrance format for runs. You may not plan on attending any of their runs, but if you do I'd definitely go with the Lowrance.

OP
OP
S

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Bigg50, I'm new to the GPS world. I've noticed guys doing both. This info is very helpful.

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been out with Bigg50, and we've used the Android and Apple apps, both work, but it's not not that great. it'll do a in a jam, but the Lawrence is the best option. I just picked up a Lawrence.