Looking at my first Raptor, 5.4 or 6.2??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Basil

Reaction score
Hi, new to this site and about to buy my first Raptor this weekend. I am looking at a 5.4 and seems plenty fast & powerful, but here in Dallas there is not much of a price difference for 5.4's vs 6.2's. Is there a huge difference in gas mileage (not that that's a huge factor)? Do you all recommend the 6.2?

Thanks!!

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hell yeah, I recommend the 6.2 over the 5.4, but let's not start yet ANOTHER thread about the war.

Some say that the 5.4 will out-perform the 6.2 and yes, some have already in the dirt drags, but I, personally, attribute that to driver skill and some luck.

The 6.2 is newer and doesn't have the proven track record of the Titan, but do your research and you'll make a great decision.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I really like my 5.4 in my truck, but I won't say that it's the better motor 100%. I do enjoy being able to get 17-18mpg on road trips and to my understanding the 6.2 will get about 13-14mpg. I find myself wondering what it'd be like to have the 400hp of the 6.2 but the smaller motor does still manage to get me hauling ass off road quite nicely.

You really can't lose with either motor.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I will sell you my 5.4 so I can go get a 6.2!! The 5.4 is good but like you said the prices aren't that much different. Maybe I am one of the odd ducks or I just like to floor it but my truck gets 13-14mpg.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are just purchasing for a road truck and need good MPG's then go with the 5.4.. If you are looking at doing engine mods on your 5.4 to get 6.2 hp the extra cost for the 6.2 is worth it... I have the 5.4 and have with my own custom air intake, complete new exhaust with long tube headers and a SCT tuner, engine mods done because I want good mileage since my truck is 100% on the road truck... . I had 13k miles on my truck before I did the exhaust and 27k more since the exhaust change... My opinion is the full exhaust cost is not worth the gains... The exhaust w/headers does give you HP gains but, you will never make up the cost in mpg's.. I have seen maybe .5-1 mpg gains but that could be conditions and since its all by the seat on the pants I cant really say... I know when I drive my truck at 62mph I have seen 19+ mpg... at one point from Munsing Mi, to the Mackinaw bridge driving 55-60 was the best... I filled up at the bridge and got 20.7 mpg...
I have done both trips from Munsing, Mi to the bridge at the same time of the year with the same load and the mpg difference w/wo the exhaust in minimal ... My opinion...the exhaust is only for the sound...

OP
OP
B

Basil

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great detailed answers, exactly what I was looking for. I'll drive both and decide but probably will go with the 5.4 as it will be my daily driver and probably don't need the extra power of the 6.2. The 5.4 I drove was a beast and it may have a custom exhaust as it sounded awesome, was load as hell. The extent of my offroading will be crawling up steep forestry access roads in Pagosa Springs, CO where I vacation 4x a year.

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

By the way, this is the one I'm looking at Certified Pre-Owned 2010 Ford F-150 Raptor For Sale - SAFA45576 | Richardson TX | Serving Dallas

Jhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my friends dad works for NJ transit in the maintenance division and says that their work trucks with the 6.2 hold up better with high mileage than the trucks that have a 5.4